New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Myrical Lyfe Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:26 am
Yeah, I know. Im sorry.

Ok, so I have been producing for about 3-4 months, and started on a MK1 NI machine, because thats what I could afford. Then I found out I could afford a maschine studio, and wanted to step up. So I did. I love the maschine for the most part. it is kind of buggy, and the sequencer sucks.

But besides that.

Im thinking about selling and getting a 2500, or maybe a 4000. I love the feel of the MPCs, and the fact I don't need to be connected to a computer. My "studio" is in my cramped attic of my small home (me and my fiancé are young, first home). I also go to school and work FT, so Id like to have the ability to sit downstairs with her, watch TV, yada yada, and be able to have headphones on and track out ideas.

BUT, Id like to stay away from having to buy a million CF cards, ect. As right now I have a palm external HD with all my sounds on it.

Basically, is it possible to step outside of what I have now, to achieve this, or should I just look into getting a laptop to haul around with my maschine?

Thanks in advance guys.
By Lampdog Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:45 am
Mpc 1k, mpc 500, ipad or android tablet.

Me, when I wanna walk away from my lab I grab my ipad3 (beatmaker 2) and hit the couch.
By Ill-Green Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 am
No I don't know, what are you sorry about?

Get yourself a 2500 and try whatever OS it comes with. Sometimes it comes with JJOS and most times it comes with the stock Akai OS but learn whatever and understand it, don't panic and find ways to create magic gotdanmit.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 am
Myrical Lyfe wrote:Id like to have the ability to sit downstairs with her, watch TV, yada yada, and be able to have headphones on and track out ideas.

:lol: You'll get to do that once, maybe twice if you're lucky. Doesn't matter how much she loves you, there's no way she will remotely put up with that.

Don't worry, we've all had that dream :wink:
By Coz Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 pm
Myrical Lyfe wrote:Id like to have the ability to sit downstairs with her, watch TV, yada yada, and be able to have headphones on and track out ideas.

A few sessions with the 4K on your lap will leave you looking like this...

Go for the portable option like Lamp suggested.
By damien907 Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 am
bro, get a 1k if you like making beats on the couch or on your lap.

unless you really want a super travel size one, i think the 1k is far superior to the 500.

but if you ilke chopping by numbers and such, the 500 will be right up your alley.

the grid edit and the waveform chopping had me sold on the 1k.

i really cant live without those things, but if you can, you might love the 500.
By groovemonger Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:13 pm
Get one. With JJOS there's not all that much between a 1000 and a 2500.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s I had a decent hardware home studio, spending every penny of my teenage part time job money on it. Nothing too exotic. MPC 2000, S1000, Korg X5, Roland XV, a few weird rack things like the FB383 303-like synth. Most of it got bought cos it was going for a great deal not because it was my first choice.

All-in-the-box was just starting to get talked about but that was seen as a poor alternative to hardware initially.

Later as a young working adult I had to move around a lot and offloaded all of it bar the 2000 and then that too, ending up with just a MacBook, controller keyboard, Logic, plugins and then an MPD32 as I missed MPC-land and wanted to get that feel back.

While initially I was amazed at how glossy a production you could do in Logic and a few third party plugins. I read all the tutorials on how to make the fattest beats, the punchiest compression, great mixes.

But then it hit me. I was just making production-line music and wasn't that inspired anymore. I was bored of music technology for the first time since getting into it at 14 or so.

It was the MPC 2000 I missed the most as I'd use that thing every single day just for fun. The MPD and software could do the same things but nothing like as immediate.

I now have a 2500 and its the centrepiece of my set-up.

I guess if you've never used hardware there's a moderate learning curve which trips a lot of people up who want a no hassle one-click solution. It's better to follow a good guide than trying and work it out by poking around with a hardware MPC but after a while it's like driving a car - you drive it without thinking about he controls. That's the famous workflow.
By damien907 Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:27 am
you can also get a hd for the 1k or the 2500 too. i dont even use my cf cards anymore cause i have the 160 gig hd on my 1k.

and you can also get the xl screen that makes it so the screen is as big as the 4k's screen and has a bunch of awesome new features too.

i think if you were gonna want to upgrade to the xlcd screen later, it would look cooler on the 25k rather than the 1k though, but the 1k is nice to fit in your lap and not nearly as heavy as the 2500 was when i was making couch beats with it.
By Budge85 Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:40 pm
groovemonger wrote:Get one. With JJOS there's not all that much between a 1000 and a 2500.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s I had a decent hardware home studio, spending every penny of my teenage part time job money on it. Nothing too exotic. MPC 2000, S1000, Korg X5, Roland XV, a few weird rack things like the FB383 303-like synth. Most of it got bought cos it was going for a great deal not because it was my first choice.

All-in-the-box was just starting to get talked about but that was seen as a poor alternative to hardware initially.

Later as a young working adult I had to move around a lot and offloaded all of it bar the 2000 and then that too, ending up with just a MacBook, controller keyboard, Logic, plugins and then an MPD32 as I missed MPC-land and wanted to get that feel back.

While initially I was amazed at how glossy a production you could do in Logic and a few third party plugins. I read all the tutorials on how to make the fattest beats, the punchiest compression, great mixes.

But then it hit me. I was just making production-line music and wasn't that inspired anymore. I was bored of music technology for the first time since getting into it at 14 or so.

It was the MPC 2000 I missed the most as I'd use that thing every single day just for fun. The MPD and software could do the same things but nothing like as immediate.

I now have a 2500 and its the centrepiece of my set-up.

I guess if you've never used hardware there's a moderate learning curve which trips a lot of people up who want a no hassle one-click solution. It's better to follow a good guide than trying and work it out by poking around with a hardware MPC but after a while it's like driving a car - you drive it without thinking about he controls. That's the famous workflow.

Dude! Just the guy who can help. I posted a thread a similar thread and got no replies :(. Anyway, i see you had an S1000 and an mpc 2000, I have an s1000 and looking to sequence with an mpc rather than logic. I was looking to get a 2000 for a classic vibe and maybe get rid of the s1000? Or should I keep it and have both? Or would u recommend a more modern mpc like the 1000? Please hit me back :D