New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Budge85 Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33 pm
Yo waddup, my first post in here. I recently got my first bit of hardware, an Akai s1000. Not fully got to grips with it but I have sampled into it and recorded into logic and I think it sounds sweet. Anyway, kind of bored of using computers and really want to try an MPC. I was thinking the 2000 or 2kXL as they are the cheapest of the 'classic' MPC's. So sound wise does it compare to the s1000? Would it be worth selling the s1000 to fund an mpc2000? Or would they complement each other?

Next option would be to get a MPC 1000 just to sequence the S1000 and whatever else, but not sample into. And finally, would I be better to stick with Logic for sequencing the sampler and not bothering with an mpc? (Still not worked out how to do this properly).

Thanks!
By Ill-Green Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:23 pm
Really its up to you if you want an MPC in your set up. I don't think anyone wants to say yes get one, then you hate the thing after.

I work all hardware in my lair. Sure you can sample in the S1000 and sequence them in the MPC via MIDI no problem. I would keep the Logic set up just as a place to track out, unless you going multitracker too.
By Budge85 Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 am
mindcontrol wrote:hows it goin so far?

like mentioned you might aswell keep what you got s1000 and logic.

Yeah man I meant, should I keep the s1000 as well as get an mpc. But yeah I bought an MPC2000! Pretty cheap and great condition. What I've done with it so far I love, only managed a 2 bar loop so far, not learned how to properly sequence a full track with it. Feels much better than using a mouse and keyboard, but takes a while sampling sounds in and trimming them etc.
By mo0kid Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 pm
Sounds like you are getting the hang of it. The more you use it the more easier it will become and the more cumbersome using a mouse will seem.

Slightly irrelevant, but I remember about 15 years ago I was actually copying samples from my computer into my sampler as it was actually quicker to edit them there!
By Budge85 Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm
I kind of want an mpc with a bit more character now though. Like the 3k. Not sure how much difference there is. Or maybe a rack sampler closer to that sound. I have the s1000 which sounds a bit rougher then the mpc2k but I don't think as phat
By jimmie Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:38 am
I own an MPC3000 which has a nice punchy sound, a fat filter, good delay fx and excellent sequencing and workflow.

I also own an S1000, which I really like the sound of (crispy, detailed crunch when pitching down samples, and retains more high end than the MPC3000) and it can be better used for stereo pads/keys/textures and looping, modulation and stereo-field programming.
It's very quick and easy to use for resampling duties, which is what I do all the time, and it sounds great when you overdrive the sample inputs for certain sounds.
The S1000 doesn't have the nice fat filter of the MPC3000 though... which can create some serious bottom end :)

My tip: Use and learn your MPC 2000 and S1000 for a while and maybe get a mixing desk to separately eq and mix some individual outs.

Also, the S1000 Record Input can be used as a nice crunchy, loud, clipped-audio effect.
Try sampling some drum hits hot into the S1000 (i.e. turn up the REC knob to get some slamming drums) and then bang those sounds into the MPC 2000.
By Budge85 Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:17 am
jimmie wrote:I own an MPC3000 which has a nice punchy sound, a fat filter, good delay fx and excellent sequencing and workflow.

I also own an S1000, which I really like the sound of (crispy, detailed crunch when pitching down samples, and retains more high end than the MPC3000) and it can be better used for stereo pads/keys/textures and looping, modulation and stereo-field programming.
It's very quick and easy to use for resampling duties, which is what I do all the time, and it sounds great when you overdrive the sample inputs for certain sounds.
The S1000 doesn't have the nice fat filter of the MPC3000 though... which can create some serious bottom end :)

My tip: Use and learn your MPC 2000 and S1000 for a while and maybe get a mixing desk to separately eq and mix some individual outs.

Also, the S1000 Record Input can be used as a nice crunchy, loud, clipped-audio effect.
Try sampling some drum hits hot into the S1000 (i.e. turn up the REC knob to get some slamming drums) and then bang those sounds into the MPC 2000.

Great tips! So when u say resample, do u do this within the sampler, like changing the sample rate or are you talking about recording the outputs?
By jimmie Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:08 pm
E.g. If I have a great stab sound coming out of my mpc which I eq and put through a couple of fx units I might sample the stereo mix out of my mixing desk into the s1000 and then sample that into the mpc3000. I might overdrive a few snares by sampling into the S1000 hot and then sample them back into the mpc.

I sample my vocals alongside a playing track, and sequences of notes, through compressors, gates, delays, eq, etc, into the S1000 and then may sample bits of that into the mpc.

It's just very handy and sounds good.
Pitching down in it is quality.
By Budge85 Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:40 am
How do I go about playing the drum sounds on the s1000 from the mpc rather than recording them into the mpc? Just coz I have the 8 outs as standard on the s1000 and don't have them on the mpc and am getting a mixer soon. Saves me buying the 8 output board!
By jimmie Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:34 pm
Budge85 wrote:How do I go about playing the drum sounds on the s1000 from the mpc rather than recording them into the mpc? Just coz I have the 8 outs as standard on the s1000 and don't have them on the mpc and am getting a mixer soon. Saves me buying the 8 output board!

There are a few ways to do this.

For all the sounds that you want to cut each other off, e.g. closed hat and open hat, put them in the same Program and set the polyphony of that Program to 1 (for mono samples) or 2 (for stereo samples).

Create multiple Programs for all your samples.

You can then span your MIDI notes (35 to 99 is it for the 2000?) across all the different Programs and use just one MIDI channel to control all the Programs (multiple Programs can use the same MIDI channel) OR you can assign different MIDI channels to any of your Programs and set the MIDI Span ranges however you like. i.e. Span by MIDI note number or split by MIDI channel or a combination.

You can then set the individual Out jack for each Program.

To learn this ish it's best to get down and dirty with your sampler and just try it.