New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By captaink Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 pm
Looking at getting a MPC not sure which one as I am looking to play an external drum machine via the MPC pads. Can I assign different midi Channels to each pad and play the external drum machine? Can I also record the sequence as well? Will all versions do this?

Thanks
Last edited by captaink on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:56 pm
captaink wrote:Looking at getting a MPC not sure which one as I am looking to play external drum machines via the MPC pads. Can I assign different midi Chanel's to each pad and play the external drum machine?

No, I don't think you can, maybe JJOS on an MPC1000 or MPC2500 can do it, I'm not sure.

But I also don't think most drum machines would need each pad on a separate MIDI channel, or necessarily respond to multiple MIDI channels. The normally respond to a single MIDI channel, with each sound set to a different MIDI note number.

Are you sure that the drum machine needs each pad on a separate MIDI channel, or are you planning to chain a single MIDI output to multiple drum machines, and have the pads triggering different drum sounds in different drum machines?

captaink wrote:Can I also record the sequence as well? Will all versions do this?

You can record sequences, but I think it is normally of a single MIDI channel for all pads at a time, unless JJOS allows the assignment of different MIDI channels to different pads at the same time.
By SimonInAustralia Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:42 pm
Yes, each pad is set to it's own MIDI note number, and all MPCs will allow you to send out separate MIDI note on/off messages from each pad, and record those into a sequence.