New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Calavera Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:57 pm
Hi guys, I'm totally a beginner and I'm trying to match a sample with my sequence. I have an mpc 1000.

Few days ago I tried to match the tempo of the sequence and the sample without slicing it and it didn't work. A friend of mine told me to try to slice the sample and today after doing it, adjusting the sequence tempo and using a little bit of swing every thing sounds perfectly as the original song from which I've cut the sample.

So why this has happened? What is the main advantage of slicing the sampe? I haven't used any tap tempo or time stretch or time detect!

Thank you in advance for your advice :-D :worthy:
By Mr.Chrisgalactic Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:24 pm
Im assuming your talking about slicing the sample to 16 pieces (auto chop) not to familiar or specific w the science behind it but my take is that your natural groove comes out cus when your drums are playing you try to pace yourself w how fast or how slow to match the drums. Sometimes if you solo the sample track it sounda really choppy but when you play it together it sounds perfect. I think its all natural groove cus naturally you give yourself self a couple mili seconds so you stay on beat
By Calavera Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:36 am
Actually I have sliced the sample in 3 parts. Maybe I have chopped the third sample not in the proper way but tweaking the attack it sounds perfectly.

There's a science behind that as you said :-D
By damien907 Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:19 pm
the benefit of slicing the sample into smaller pieces is so you can re-arrange it and play it different than the original song.

if you chop the sample and re arrange it and find that there are some gaps,
you can pitch it up or down to try to get it to fit, or you can timestretch it like ill green said.

or you can use what is called loop mode (or crossfade looping) on the mpc.

it makes it so when you have a sample that cuts off a bit short, but all the rest fit, you can have the tail of that sample loop over and crossfade so it sounds like it fits perfect.

check out this video and it shows you what im talking about, however this guy is doing it on the mv 8800 and its called something a little different in the mv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMxxsl5PXLI