New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By rema Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 pm
Considering buying a MPC studio but can't seem to find many recent reviews or videos. Doesn't seem that popular??

My current set up is Logic and a midi keyboard want to try something new. I've bought and sold 2 MPD18 's. Main reason was they didn't get much use and was controlling logic sounds and logic which I haven't been too impressed with. I also bought a Maschine Mikro MKI didn't like it at all mostly because of the software ended up selling it.

Im not looking to chop samples just make beats with pads

I can't afford the MPC Renaissance or Maschine MKII or Maschine Studio but could get the Micro MKII its the same price as the MPC studio here.

To be honest I always seem to buy pads cause I feel there going to be the game changer.

Maybe I need new software and sounds or something.

Any thoughts suggestions would be great.

I've tried a MPC once for like 10mins think it was 2500 was in a shop

rema
By Dodgedriver82 Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:02 am
With all due respect, IMHO, it Kinda sounds like you think that when u buy something, if its doesn't magically make you some crazy beats right off the bat, that your on to the next thing that you think might work, or your just extremely fickle. It sounds like u really need to sit and think what you want to do. I just bought the MPC studio like 6 days ago, but haven't really had a chance to bang out on it, but I had an mpc 1000, that I loved, but sold for quick cash. I ended up getting a Machine Mikro Mk1, and I think it's crazy easy to get something started on it. It's seems to me that that mpc software is slightly more intricate and technical than the maschine software. The only advice I can give would be watch YouTube vids. "knocksquared" has some nice maschine vids, and the Mpc studio and Renaissance are basically the exact same thing, with the exception of the look of the controller and the studio doesn't have the vintage mode, so u can look a vids for either one. As far as the pads will be a game changer, I'm not sure I get that seeing as pads are nothing new at all. Best of luck with ur decision.
By rema Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 am
Ill-Green Thanks for the reply I've had two MPD's think i need something more than a midi controller. I also already have a midi keyboard.

Dodgedriver82 I hear what your saying with both the MPD's and the Mikro I put in the work it wasn't like I sold them after a week and with the MPD I bought another one to try give it another chance. Just feel like I need to do something different/new cause as it is I'm just getting the same results. But i guess that could be said about buying new equipment

People really love Maschine and there are people making some real good music but for some reason I had huge issues with the software like I couldn't get used to the interface and layout.

What are your thoughts on the MPC studio so far? What made you get it?

defiantly not trying to rush into anything especially with the MPC studio not being popular where I'm from reselling would be a nightmare.

Thanks, rema
By MessyBeatz Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:06 pm
im currently using Logic X and im in a similar position as Rema.

I sold my 1000 a few years back (needed cash) but im in a position now where i want to add a drum machine back into my set.

Ive got my eye on the 2500 or the Ren and really cant decide which one to get. Decisions Decisions. lol

I'll keeo my eye on this thread for what is said and maybe something may sway me. not sure.

No intention of jacking your thread either man.
By m:t:c Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:20 pm
Think as hard as you can about the stuff you're mainly going to do with the equipment and what are the things you need it to do for you. Then the decision is a lot easier to make. Studio/Maschine kind of "groovebox in a computer" solutions offer less limitations than you might encounter with a dedicated drum machine/sampler/sequencer, but on the other hand they offer you a totally different workflow and way to look at beat making.

Reading the specs, reviews, manuals and asking questions is the best you can do right now, but first you need to know what you want.
By Ill-Green Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:50 am
Just to clear things, the MPC Studio is just a controller that runs on MPC software, its not stand alone. But if thats what you need and want, then go get it.

From what I get though is that you looking for a hardware MPC like the 1000 or the 2500. If you do take this route, they are not controllers.
By rema Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:03 pm
m:t:c I think its the new approach that interests me with the MPC Studio. Being able to control more with the hardware. and actually having hardware thats built for the software. And being able to use the MPC software as a standalone and maybe within Logic. I read many reviews on the studio but they're mostly from 2012 and early 2013 and there's not much on youtube. But will keep searching and looking.

eazdollaz What was your set-up before you got the studio, what are your impressions so far and have you had an MPC or Maschine before?

Ill-Green Sorry for the confusion I'm aware the MPC Studio is a controller but it also comes with it's own software and sounds. If I bought a MPD or MPK It would be controlling logic and using logic sounds.
By electric dragon Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:15 pm
The controller part of it is just that: a controller. Pads in theory should make it easier to do rhythm based stuff since you can tap the beat but there's no reason you couldn't use a keyboard or even write in notes on a grid in software with the mouse.

The software or hardware part of a sampler is based around a workflow that involves sampling. If you're not actively making your own samples, any sounds that come with the device or program are going to start sounding pretty stale.

It sounds like that's what's happening here if every piece of gear you try makes you think you need a new approach. . .
By electric dragon Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:25 pm
I suggest you start making your own sounds. That's a huge topic though so I can't really recommend any one path. It all depends on the type of music you're going for.

I'm not saying it's bad to have a large sample library you grabbed from other people but eventually you'll want to grab something off a record or CD that no one's thought to sample before, or you might want to record actual instruments that you or friends are playing.

When you start adding the stuff you spent the time sampling to your mix your songs will start to come alive in a unique way because you're not just using the same sh*t everyone has access to. . . .

This is why owning a MPC is such a good investment if you're starting out. It can handle every step of music production, especially recording, that's why they named em Music Production Centers. And it's a dedicated machine; you're not going to waste time checking Facebook on it (well, maybe the new ones with Windows built into them coming out soon).

It's easy enough though to get a nice interface for recording and stick with a PC/Mac setup and using controllers for triggering sounds. A big monitor with Ableton Live is quite a nice workflow compared to a small MPC screen.

In addition to my MPC and my computer/interface setup I have a small Zoom h4n which is great for just walking around and doing 'field' recordings. It also has inputs so you can hook up additional mics or use it as a stereo line in through USB on your computer. I highly recommend it as a simple portable USB interface but do some research; some sound chipsets on AMD based motherboards have issues with the Zoom.
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:16 pm
I have a small Zoom h4n which is great for just walking around and doing 'field' recordings. It also has inputs so you can hook up additional mics or use it as a stereo line in through USB on your computer
^^^
I got the first generation Zoom handy recorder,best money I ever spent.It still works and gets daily use.I track out my beats straight from the MPC into the Zoom.
By mr_debauch Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:29 pm
S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD wrote:I have a small Zoom h4n which is great for just walking around and doing 'field' recordings. It also has inputs so you can hook up additional mics or use it as a stereo line in through USB on your computer
^^^
I got the first generation Zoom handy recorder,best money I ever spent.It still works and gets daily use.I track out my beats straight from the MPC into the Zoom.

yeah same here, except for the mpc tracking in part... and the new h6 is insane too.. it has 4 combo inputs, 6 if you swap out the mics for the input piece. Actually the XY mics also has a 1/8" input jack too.. been using the OG h4 since it dropped... however I mostly use the Q3 for field audio recording lately... and i'm a big fan of the h1 because it's small and cheap so for field recording locations that you might scrap the device that one is perfect. I always wanted to try one of the newer ones made by other companies to see how the sound differs from the zoom ones..