New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By medearis Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:05 pm
Just curious... you said you couldn't get along with the software of Maschine. What makes you think/feel you'd be any more comfortable with the MPC Ren + software?

Not trying to be a jerk, just hoping to understand where you're coming from. :)

In my narrow-ass view of the two... at this point, I'd choose to go with Maschine over the MPC Ren/Studio just because the company has had more time to evolve their software. I believe the future is bright('ish) for the MPC controllers + software suites but, currently, ehhhhhhh....

So - you couldn't get along with Maschine (because of the software). Why would you consider another software that does sorta, kinda, essentially the same thing?
By mo0kid Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:15 am
Have you considered moving over to Ableton Live? Logic is mostly geared towards full arrangements and real instruments, and not plonking down some beats.

Also, it sounds like you are buying these hardware solutions with the hope that they are going to come with a holy grail sound library,- they just aren't. You are either going to get some cheesy rubbish, or bait to buy into after-sale library add ons. If I were you, I'd stick to the hardware that feels best under your fingers and either make your own sounds, or buy/download 3rd party samples.

I can't recommend enough recording your own samples. Whether you are aiming to be a pro or you're doing this for fun,- crate digging and field recording is the best fun you can have with your clothes on. As a bonus you'll have a sound that's your own territory.
By rema Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:38 pm
Appreciate all the replies

electric dragon
Yeah I hear what your saying about real sounds and recording stuff I've always felt my beats where missing something. Tried in the past to add additional vocals but samples would probably do the job better.

electric dragon - mr_debauch - S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD
When you say field recordings what sort of stuff are you guys recording like people talking? city sounds?

medearis Would have just been a leap of faith not based on actual experience or anything tangible. I got the Maschine Mickro MK1 a few weeks before the MK2 was released so it was going for cheap and I also managed to get a discount on top. So at that price I was willing to take the risk.

mo0kid Seems like quite a few people use it but haven't tried it myself. Can you recommend any 3rd party sample libraries.

After a lot of thought and going back and fourth I think I won't buy any new equipment just keep at it in Logic. Will try incorporate samples like most of you have suggested and just see how it goes.
By electric dragon Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm
When you say field recordings what sort of stuff are you guys recording like people talking? city sounds?
Could be anything. Whatever I can hear when I'm out and about. People talking, traffic, wind in a meadow, construction sounds, babbling brooks, etc.

The goal is to grow a collection of stuff you can listen through and cut out interesting bits, then process those further. Or layer them into more traditional sounds to add an extra little oomph to more stock sounds. Whatever you choose to do, it's sound you found and choices you make about what to do with it; those things will be unique to you, instead of just trying to make something out of a giant Drum Kit library that anyone can access.