New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By TomStephens Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 pm
Hi all,

Long time producer, v new mpc1000 user (bought Friday), and very much enjoying my new toy!

I wonder if anyone here would be kind enough to help, I have been using the mpc1000 as master to my volca bass, which has been running in sequencer mode via the mpc midi clock. For the first couple of days the timing was rock solid, mpc1000 and volca in perfect timing harmony.

Then last night, when i would press play or re-start the loop the volca bass would 'skip' one beat, you could audibly here it change the starting point. I messed around with the steps and programmed a note on the '2' on the bass and it was perfectly aligned to the '1' on the mpc. I don't know why!!!

The weird thing is if I start it then hit 'Play'/'Play-Start' ad it starts the loop again it gets back into time sometimes - but not every time.

Just top be clear, its not a timing slip issue over a period of time, its when I press play the volca skips a beat and realigns it's '2' as the mpc's '1'. If that makes sense?

Anyone have any experience of this and how to solve it? I did search volca bass and nothing came up, so apologies if this has been discussed before.

I have the mpc1000 with OS3 (pay version).

Any help would be much appreciated.
By *Pilchard* Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:46 pm
I don't know the Volca but it sounds like your problem is because you are trying to sync two sequencers. The 'slave' may take a fraction of a second to catch up with the master so, you could either try a blank bar at the start of each sequencer (to give time to catch up) or unless there is some reason why you need to use both sequencers, why not try sequencing the Volca from a track on the mpc. (= no syncing just trigger through midi).
By srasmus Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:04 am
I had a similar problem problem with my TT303 Bassbot. The workaround that made it work for me was to add one empty bar at the beginning of whole sequence.

Of course it makes all tracks start one bar later than pressing "play", but at least everything was in sync.