New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By BiglAG Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm
Basically guys ive got a 2000xl, i know saving a beat is difficult without a daw or some sort of additional equipment. However my mate has a 5000 and i was wondering if i put my cf card into his could i load the beat there and save it as a wav? Also if its possible is there a certain way i need to save/load to do it?? cause i already find it doesn't always save properly on the cf card anyway on the xl.

any help is greatly appreciated.
By mo0kid Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 pm
You don't need lots of equipment or an expensive DAW to record the output of your MPC on your computer. It would be a lot less hassle and more logical than trying to convert beats into WAVs on the 5000.

Look at free software like Audacity or LMMS. They will do the job just fine, and there's dozens of iPhone Android apps too.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 pm
Plug the output of the MPC2000XL into the input of the MPC5000.

Record the output of the MPC2000XL into the MPC5000 as a sample.

Trim the sample in the MPC5000.

Save the sample in the MPC5000 as a WAV file.
By BiglAG Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:27 pm
thank you simon i will give it a go, any chance you know if the cf card idea i mentioned before would work tho? as the cf card is alot easier to take to me friends house with the 5000 than the big heavy 2000xl itself. not that i mind that much.

also this 8 character saving on the 2xl is bugging me out. i jus saved all progs & sound then all seq & songs but some of the filenames were longer than 8 so when the mpc saved them its got an _ and is now 8 characters rather than what it was before. does this mean it now wont load if i switch it on and off?
By SimonInAustralia Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 pm
I have not tried it, but maybe someone else here has.

The manual says that 'most' of the Program parameters are compatible, so you can give it a go and see how it works, it might be that any Program parameters that are not compatible do not affect your MPC2000XL programs/sequences...
MPC5000 Reference Manual, page 201, wrote:Data Compatibility
MPC1000: SEQ, WAV, PGM
MPC2000/2000XL: SEQ, WAV, SND, PGM (Most parameters of PGM file can be loaded.)
MPC4000: SEQ, WAV, AKP (Keygroup and Drum type)
MPC3000: SND (THRU Computer)
Z4/Z8: WAV, AKP (Keygroup and Drum type)
S5000/6000: WAV , AKP (as Keygroup Programs)
S1000/3000: .S1P, .S3P (As Keygroup Programs), S1S, S3S (as WAV)
Other: AIFF, various AIFF-C, CDA

Maybe your memory card has been formatted in a computer, and the format doesn't support MPC long filenames?

If the card is formatted in the MPC, you should be able to use longer filenames than 8.3, but they wouldn't load into a computer correctly, if that matters, they would be truncated to 8.3.
By BiglAG Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:01 pm
thats nice!! i thought the 5k would have the capabilities just wanst sure, cheers for the info mate thts what i was looking for great advice on both issues.