New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By cassiusclai Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14 pm
Hello i know this may be a stupid set of questions, but i am stumped any help would be greatly appreciated! So i boot up my npc. Hit Mode-load, then i pick my program i want to use. Then i make a simple drum loop in sequence one track one. Then i move to chop my sample up. I chop it up assign it to the pads i want in sequence two..then when i switch back to the drums to hear it play, and no sound comes out. Once i pull a sample into the sequencer my drum sounds disappear. Should i be using track two for a sample loop or should i be making different sequences for new loops. any help at all i would really appreciate. i don't have the manual and youtube isn't specific to my problem.
thanks
Cassius
By damien907 Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:35 am
think of sequences as umbrellas, and tracks as everything under the umbrella.

so a sequence can have multipule tracks.

a track is assigned a program, and you can assign a program to more than one track.

so say track 1 is your melody sample ( name this program melody chops) and on track one assign the track to the program called melody chops. when you open this program, you should have saved all your chops into it so when you play the pads, you can hear the chops.

now go to track 2, and make a new program. call it drum chops. assign a snare, kick, hihat, whatever to the pads. and title this track snare. record your snare sound.

no go to track 3, title this track kick, and assign the program to drums chops also, youll notice that track 2 and 3 both use the same program,so the mpc is referencing the sounds on the drum program when you push play. (after you do this, try soloing your snare track, and try changing the program to your melody chops, and see what happens, it might give you a better understanding that way).

this is how yo go about building songs in the mpc.

you should be able to apply this principal to your problem, and if you organize it a litttle better, you might not run into it again.

i dont know exactly what is wrong, but it sounds like you might have a bit of confusion about how exactly the mpc works and what samples it references and how. so this may well just fix your problem.

when your saving, you cant just save the program file and expect the samples to be there either, because it will just save your paramaters for your program, not the samples themselves.
so how you save if you want to come back to your beat and have it how you left it is, save entire memory into a new folder. i have a folder called beats, and inside that have a bunch of sub folders of each specific beat you make, save "entire memory" into these folders for each new beat you make.

if you feel like you have taken a beat in a direction you dont know you like, simply save it as "beat 1 v2" in a new folder, or something similar, so when you go back to load up your beats, you can choose between beat 1 folder or beat 1 v2 folder to load.

hope this helps.