New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By tudormink Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:02 pm
Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice. I got a Ren about 6 - 8 months ago having never used an MPC before and I'm starting to think I should have got an earlier model.

Having to have it constantly hooked up to a laptop is an absolute pain IMO, and having to constantly switch between my laptop and MPC just doesn't work for me. I feel like I want to be able to just sit at the MPC and work there...

Has anyone else felt similar and decided to bin the Ren? I'm not sure if I'm just being hasty and just need more time working with it, but I'm really thinking I'd prefer one of the earlier models that is standalone and I can just hook up my turntable and get creating.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has been through the same thing and what the results were! Cheers :wink:
By Lampdog Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:32 pm
tudormink wrote:Having to have it constantly hooked up to a laptop is an absolute pain IMO

You didn't know this BEFORE purchasing?
By tudormink Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:48 pm
Yes, I did know, but having not owned an MPC before I didn't really know how it would affect working with it.

Just would be cool to know if anyone has felt the same and changed to an older model and if its worked out better etc!
By JVC Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:48 pm
Lampdog wrote:
tudormink wrote:Having to have it constantly hooked up to a laptop is an absolute pain IMO

You didn't know this BEFORE purchasing?

Lamp, I understand how tudormink feel. I think that he didn't realize that having to require computer is kind of kill fun for him. Often, you don't know if you'll like it or not until you own the gear.

I feel like I want to be able to just sit at the MPC and work there...

Precisely why I like using MPC2000XL (or Electribe ES-1), despite some limitations. (Actually I don't know how to use any of DAWs!)
It sounds like MPC-2500 suits for tudormink's needs.
By Lampdog Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:10 pm
JVC wrote:Lamp, I understand how tudormink feel.

I don't have a Ren but I can fully understand it too.

JVC wrote:It sounds like MPC-2500 suits for tudormink's needs.

That sounds like a plan right there.
Seeing as how a laptop kills the mood a true older standalone mpc would fit that bill.

I also like standalone gear, gear that can work and complete projects on it's own with no help from anything else.
By tudormink Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:56 pm
Appreciate the replies guys, thanks a lot!

That's funny that the models I have now been looking at have both been mentioned here. Very tempted to invest in a 2500 or a 2000xl now...
By Coz Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:35 pm
My brother sold a fully decked out 2500 (that he bought off me) and bought the Ren… that's now gathering dust.

You can't beat standalone hardware. 8)
By Lampdog Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:02 pm
tudormink wrote:Appreciate the replies guys, thanks a lot!

That's funny that the models I have now been looking at have both been mentioned here. Very tempted to invest in a 2500 or a 2000xl now...

2500 > 2kxl
By Metatron72 Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:13 pm
Yeah 2500 sounds like the move for the OP. You always have the option of sending out a gang of MIDI tracks to VSTs in a DAW when you do need to utilize the versatility a computer based set up affords.
By damien907 Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:00 am
i really like the 1k over the 2500 size wise. i can make beats in my lap on the couch, but if you want the bigger pads and extra outputs of 2500, go with that.

they both run identical OS's though, so keep that in mind, the 1k really is just a smaller version of the 2500 without a couple extra phsical features, like disk drive, ect.

but if you like the size of your ren, you might just want to pick up a 2500.

if you do pick up a 1k or 2500, please just get jjos-xl from the start. you will thank yourself for it.

another perk of the 1k or 25k is you can always upgrade to the xlcd screen version later too if you want.
By tudormink Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:50 am
Thanks damien907. I will look at the 2500 based on what everyone is saying here.

I remember reading up about JJos when I was looking to buy my first MPC. Will definitely invest in that too!
By Ill-Green Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 am
Thats one of the reasons why I stepped from the Ren. It needs to be on life-support which is your computer. They say Hip Hop is dead so I don't need that type of drama in my studio. Nope. MV8800 in the studio and MPC500 my bottom-bitch that comes with me everywhere in a little backpack. No computers except for uploading tracks and I'm content. :nod:
By MPCTNT Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm
Instead of dumping your Ren, maybe grab a hardware model and have ability to switch back and forth as needed.

Find a couple used MPCs in one of your local musisc store to play around on and see how it feels. Take a set of headphones and some sounds (maybe compact flash depending on model of MPC u find) and see how U like the feel and workflow.

It's all about preference and what works for U