New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By dbushell Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:23 am
Yo,

Been exploring the MPC world in the last little bit (new to it all, using MPC Studio), and while I'm sweet on Program Edits, Effects, Sampling, Chopping, making beats and all the rest...there's one bit I haven't been able to quite get my head around...and it feels so simple as to be stupid (possibly so basic that I haven't been able to find a proper explanation of it anywhere)...

Simply - what is the relationship between Programs and Sequences?

I know...I know...

I know I can chop a sample into a new Program, for example, but then if I have beats set up in a sequence...how do I make those chops available to the beats in the sequence? Or is that even how I'm supposed to think of it?

Currently, I end up basically sort of copying the sequences, removing the parts I don't need to build my tracks...and while it works...it's not exactly intuitive. And I have a sneaking suspicion there MUST be a better (proper) way.

Facepalms...go!
By Clint Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:02 pm
dbushell wrote:Simply - what is the relationship between Programs and Sequences?

At the most basic level, PROGRAMS are a group of samples that are assigned to your MPC pads. On the MPC Studio you have Pad Banks A - H, which means a program can hold up to 128 primary samples (16 pads X 8 banks). Using the software tools, you can also layer several samples on a single pad. For example, you might have a DRUM program with 16 samples assigned to Bank A, and a BASS program with 32 samples assigned across Banks A and B. Two different programs of samples, which can be used at the same time to create something. Or you could combine both the DRUM and BASS samples to a single program, assigned across Banks A, B and C.

A collection of different PROGRAMS generally used together to create, is called a MULTI. MULTI's make it easier to organise your programs and manipulate them. Using MULTI's effectively will streamline your workflow significantly, but many people struggle to understand the concept, mainly because the orginal MPC's (MPC60, MPC3000) did not have MULTI's, you were limited to using one PROGRAM at a time.

A SEQUENCE in MPC terms, is a pattern of notes recorded into the sequencer using the pads or a MIDI keyboard. A SEQUENCE is typically a key section of a song, the intro, the verse, the bridge, the hook, the outro etc. Usually SEQUENCES are 2, 4, 8 or 16 bars long, but not always. They can be quickly and easily arranged into a SONG using SONG MODE. The SEQUENCE has individual tracks, it is good practice to record individual sound elements into their own track. Record your kicks on track 1, your snares on track 2, your hi-hats on track 3 etc...All tracks within a SEQUENCE will be the same length, this is PATTERN-BASED SEQUENCING which MPC's are famous for.

Now, each track in a SEQUENCE can be assigned to trigger a particular PROGRAM of samples or PART (part of a MULTI). So it is easy to switch the sounds triggered by a particular track. Want a different kick drum? Assign the kick drum track to a different PROGRAM or PART. Simple.

dbushell wrote:I know I can chop a sample into a new Program, for example, but then if I have beats set up in a sequence...how do I make those chops available to the beats in the sequence? Or is that even how I'm supposed to think of it?

If I understand this correctly, you want to add new samples to an existing PROGRAM? Make use of the 8 Pad Banks to save more samples, resave the program with samples. Otherwise, please clarify what you mean and use consistent terminology (samples, chops, beats etc).

dbushell wrote:Currently, I end up basically sort of copying the sequences, removing the parts I don't need to build my tracks...and while it works...it's not exactly intuitive. And I have a sneaking suspicion there MUST be a better (proper) way.

Copying SEQUENCES and MUTING the parts not needed to build up a track is something a lot of people do. I call this the MASTER SEQUENCE METHOD, whereby you create one SEQUENCE that contains all of your musical elements on individual tracks. You can then copy the SEQUENCE many times and simply MUTE sections that are not required.

Others create a number of sequences (the intro, the verse, the bridge, the hook, the outro etc.) and chain them together in SONG MODE. There are many ways to create with MPC's, part of the fun is finding the WORKFLOW that suits you. In this respect, there is a lot to be learned from using a HARDWARE MPC to cut your teeth.
By selecta jo Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:14 pm
welcome to the forums!

(seems clint beat me on this one with very a good explanation, but nevertheless...)

you can see it a bit like this:

- the programs are your "instrument", consisting of samples on the pads.
- the sequence is the representation of how you play that "instruments" over time.

- a sequence can have one or several tracks to seperate different "instruments" or parts of an "instrument". e.g. you can play all the sounds of your program "drums" onto one track, or you can have the kick on one track and the snare on one, the hihats on another and so on. playing all on one track can be faster while jamming or composing, but having them on seperate tracks gives you more freedom to manipulate or mix them different later.

- a song is also a representation of sound over time as it is made of sequences one after the other. e.g. seq1 is your intro, seq2 is your verse and seq3 is the chorus and seq4 is a break. then you set this seqs like you want and mybe repeat them to form a song.

don´t overthink it too much as there are many ways to create music - just have fun while doing it. if you ever come to a point where you have something in your head and don´t know a way to realize it, then it is the time to look how others might do it and search for a solution.

peace, jo
By dbushell Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:29 am
Hahaha...and a great welcome to the forum to a long-time lurker/first-time poster.

Really appreciate the feedback from you both (and the boost, Lampdog). My background is DJ'ing, so production/composition is a whole new workflow to get my head around...so you do sometimes feel a bit out in the deep end.

Extremely detailed replies...awesome!

The Master Sequence Method that Clint mentioned was the process that I'd sort of naturally come around to in terms of copying sequences and muting tracks (although weird that there doesn't seem to be a 'copy Sequence' option like there is a 'copy Program' option...that was actually one of the things that made me think 'hmm...am I doing this right?')

And Jo...it's nice to get that reminder that it doesn't really matter how you're creating, as long as you are, and you're having a killer time doing it (very much the case).
By JBM Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
dbushell wrote:
(although weird that there doesn't seem to be a 'copy Sequence' option like there is a 'copy Program' option...that was actually one of the things that made me think 'hmm...am I doing this right?')

Copy Sequence:
1.Press SEQ EDIT on the hardware.
2.Now in the Edit Sequence window select [5] Copy a Sequence
By dbushell Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:39 am
So...following on from the above...I've been using that Master sequence process that Clint talked about, and then using that to build and separate out the different sequences which is cool.

However, when I'm copying the sequences (like JBM pointed out), the pads that have been muted...they carry across from the sequences as well.
So, for example, if I copy a sequence, and then mute Pad 1 (because I want to take out the bass drum or whatever), that mute is carried across all the sequences. And then un-muting, returns it back to all the sequences.

I haven't used mute groups or anything like that...but how do I keep a Pad muted on one sequence, and then un-muted on another that's copied?
By Clint Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:16 pm
dbushell wrote:So...following on from the above...I've been using that Master sequence...However, when I'm copying the sequences (like JBM pointed out), the pads that have been muted...they carry across from the sequences as well.
So, for example, if I copy a sequence, and then mute Pad 1 (because I want to take out the bass drum or whatever), that mute is carried across all the sequences. And then un-muting, returns it back to all the sequences.

I haven't used mute groups or anything like that...but how do I keep a Pad muted on one sequence, and then un-muted on another that's copied?

Sorry I can't help with this one, dont have an MPC Studio.

Maybe there is a setting to make copied sequences independent, rather than linked? :hmmm:
By JBM Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:13 am
dbushell wrote:So...following on from the above...I've been using that Master sequence process that Clint talked about, and then using that to build and separate out the different sequences which is cool.

However, when I'm copying the sequences (like JBM pointed out), the pads that have been muted...they carry across from the sequences as well.

Go into Track Mute Window on Akai OS by pressing the Track mute button.

You can edit the Mute on and Mute off end points within the grid

Click drag and hold over the muted area and select delete (this is displayed in light grey area of the selected track) upon completion the red track mutes will be deleted on that track within the selected sequence.

By dbushell Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 am
JBM,

My apologies! I didn't see a response come through to my email when you posted that...(n00b here - it ended up going into my spam folder)...so missed that kick-arse reply from you completely.

Thank you so much! Saved my world, mate.

:worthy:
By MPCTNT Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:34 pm
Clint wrote:A collection of different PROGRAMS generally used together to create, is called a MULTI. MULTI's make it easier to organise your programs and manipulate them. Using MULTI's effectively will streamline your workflow significantly, but many people struggle to understand the concept, mainly because the orginal MPC's (MPC60, MPC3000) did not have MULTI's, you were limited to using one PROGRAM at a time.

That entire answer was awesome Clint but this part really hit home for me. I am man enough to admit that I started out on the 3k in the mid 90s.... Even thru using multiple MPCs from 2k to 1k to 5k, I never really grasped the usefulness because I admit that I never completely filled the '1' program limitation with samples. It was quite an epiphany when I actually created a new program and realized multiple reasons it was useful in multiple situations