New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By damien907 Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:28 am
i would just get a really good condition 1k with all the upgrades, and jjos 2xl, or maybe the jjos with the large screen. then you dont have to worry about fixing it, and honestly i would trust jjos better than the 5k os.

and with the large screen, your getting big boy mpc features at small mpc prices.
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:13 pm
damien907 wrote:i would just get a really good condition 1k with all the upgrades, and jjos 2xl, or maybe the jjos with the large screen. then you dont have to worry about fixing it, and honestly i would trust jjos better than the 5k os.

and with the large screen, your getting big boy mpc features at small mpc prices.

Good thing is he went with a 2500 instead of considering the 1k so he doesn't have to deal with those smaller pads.
Now he only has to deal with the polyphony shortage.
By blaxquid Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:12 am
Just as a follow up to my "omg-what-am-i-doing-thread"... The 2500 is the best audio impulse buy I ever made (and I've had A LOT of gear) - I've never been as productive musically, ever. It just works, in all its simplicity, which is more than I can say about any midi controller or DAW. I wished I bought one 15 years ago! :Sigh: Gotta hoard those spare parts now...!
By damien907 Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:28 pm
ahh yeah the 2500 is a good choice too. i dont know why people hate on the smaller 1k pads though, i dont mind them, but if you want full size pads, the 2500 would be the obvious choice.

did you get jjos on it?

i would def get a HD if it doesnt have one already. i love just storing all my samples on it and not worrrying about space issues.

i have mine broken into a couple folders

main folder called:

mpc all sounds, inside it i have
----drums
inside here i have, go to drums, drum libraries, drum breaks, free drumkits ect ect.
----pitched samples (all my piano, basses, ect ect go in here)
----vocal samples (inside this folder i have a bunch of sub folders where i get my talking vocal snippets from)
---- from movies, from youtube, from records, ect ect.
----samples (my main samples folder)
---------each seprate sample/song is stored in self contained folder, ie, donna summers, then inside it, a file of the whole song or sample, and also a "song name chops" and inside that all the chops.
-----beats
------inside this beat 1, beat 2, ect ect, and each one is save all memory so each song is fully contained in each folder. also if you find yourself going in a different direction with a beat, save it in an new folder called "beat 1 v2," then when you power the mpc on again, you can pick up where you left off, or you can go back and yo woulndt have re-written your work.
----samples in progress: i usually record my whole sample song into my mpc and it gets sorted in a self contained folder within the "samples" folder then i break it up later when i chop from it, but this samples in progress folder is for everything else that i dont have time to sort out, i usually never put whole songs in here, just little shit like maybe a snare hit or a vocal stab i hear somewhere, that i dont nessisarily think i have to organize right away.

and my other main folder, that is on the same level as "mpc all sounds" is a folder called mpc multitracks, where i multitrack all of my current beats into. then i can just drag and drop the whole folder onto my computer when im ready for mixing.
i also have a midi files folder where i keep any midi templates, or if i start a beat on logic, i sometimes just save my midi and drag them over to my mpc so i dont have to re sequence the whole beat out when moving to my mpc.

kinda got off topic, but i hope that might help you sort out your files on your mpc. it took me a little while to figure out the best way to sort my samples and projects out.
By blaxquid Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:38 pm
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find a decently priced IDE HD so I got a SD->IDE converter. Hopefully that's gonna work without a hitch.

I did install the free JJOS as soon as I got the mpc! Works well and the only reason why I'd consider upgrading at the moment is the extreme zoomed in view when TC is off.

Great ideas on the folder breakdown. That's a bit overkill though as everything is backed up on my computer. But yea, I'll usually do an entire memory dump in a separate folder and after a couple of beats I can see how that can be messy if I want to use kick from beat #2 in beat #234! Gotta be more disciplined indeed.