New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By bcwarlock Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:57 am
So I bought an mpc 500 to go with my 2 sp404s and I was just wanting some tips on the best way to incorporate the 500 into my workflow i.e. use the best features of the 404 and combine them with the best features of a 500 to really get the most out of my equipment.One idea I had was to sample with one 404,sequence with the mpc and drums on it as well,and then possibly record out to the other 404 for some more effects on the finished track(which is something I like to do when I make an sp beat).Then i guess at some point I could bounce to tape or vice versa....any other variations on this idea or other ways to use these equips together that y'all know I would like to hear about...thanks!
By medearis Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm
Your setup sounds dope! I'd be hitting the parks early morning and going nuts with all that battery powered goodness!

Maybe Ill Green can give ya better ideas. He's a 500 nerd and can definitely rock it. I use a 1K personally, not too sure what the limitations might/might not be with the 500.

I really like to build drums up on the MPC and use it's internal compressor to squash the sh*t outta the drum bus - sample the whole pattern (or two or three) into the 404 and then kinda go wild after that. Great gear duo I think.

You could also use the MPC as "just a sequencer" some times if you'd like - sequence one of your 404s while you are sampling into the other one + adding effects.

Now that I think about it... this kinda seems like holding a mirror up to another mirror. Welcome to the rabbit hole, bruh! :lol:
By bcwarlock Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 pm
Thanks for the help man!So how would I go about sequencing like you mentioned...Im still pretty new to hardware as Im coming from a daw perspective(I'm taking classes to learn Ableton atm)and Im totally new to MPCs.Is it a simple process or is it gonna take some learning.I also need to look into how to sync the mpc up to Ableton if possible...jeez this is a rabbit hole haha!