New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By BenEdge Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:34 pm
Hi Everyone.

Firstly I do not own an MPC or any sort of Hardware sequencer. Up until now i have dabbled only with Logic and Ableton.

I was however after a bit of advise on where to start if i wanted to switch to the hardware world. My knowledge of hardware sequencers and samplers etc is weak at best so I was hoping to obtain some information to get me started on the things I would need to know about in the lead up to getting started and then learning how to produce music through this medium.

Just in case anyone was wondering why im interested in making the switch from computer to hardware...its simple...i never seem to actually make any music on my laptop.....instead it seems to be a constant battle of updates and things going wrong on my computer....or my laptop being stolen etc etc.....basically im fed up with the whole idea......and another recent setback just after i finally thought i had my setup sorted has completely DE-moralised me. I think its time for a change and i need something that will inspire me again and encourage me to listen learn and enjoy.

Thank you
ben
By MPC-Tutor Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:33 pm
There isn't that much to know TBH, an MPC should be able to handle most of your sequencing and sampling duties, but you'll probably still need to use your computer to deal with more advance sample editing requirements, tracking out to DAW, mixdown and if required, to record instruments and vocals etc.

Of course you don't have to use a computer for a lot of that, there are hard disk recorders such as the DPS series from Akai, discontinued years ago, but still available via ebay. Plenty of others as well, but I think you'll miss your computer.

But for most sequencing & sampling duties any hardware MPC will hit the spot if you are looking for a more reliable (but very different) workflow. Which model you go for depends on your specific needs and budget.

Ask away with more specific questions... :popcorn:
By Clint Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:06 pm
BenEdge wrote:Up until now i have dabbled only with Logic and Ableton...I was however after a bit of advise on where to start if i wanted to switch to the hardware world. My knowledge of hardware sequencers and samplers etc is weak at best...I was hoping to obtain some information to get me started on the things I would need to know about in the lead up to getting started and then learning how to produce music through this medium.

Have you tried the Reason software?

I ask this because unlike many other software programs, Reason can actually help you to learn a lot about using hardware. The Reason rack devices are modelled accurately from real hardware, and the gear needs to be wired up in the correct way, just like real hardware. You also learn about adjusting the parameters, synthesis, step sequencing, pattern-based sequencing (like MPC's), the mixer, FX and all kinds of stuff entirely relevant to working within a hardware-based studio. If you can understand Reason, the transition to going the hardware route will be relatively painless. And obviously the Kong Drum Designer is based on MPC's, so using that will give you a headstart in terms of working with pads and manipulating samples.

For a beginner to the MPC world, an MPC2000XL with card reader, or an MPC1000 are good places to start without breaking the bank. Keep away from all MPC models with a floppy drive or floppy emulator, and keep a decent computer around in the studio, you will need it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums!
By srasmus Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:43 am
Hi

A year ago, I gave up software sequencing completely, and got a used MPC2500. I find the MPC brilliant, transparent, intuitive, and there's only few things that I cannot do.

Bottom line is I now record music rather than mess around with a mouse, and I don't have to deal with MIDI latency and other time wasting issues.

Just my experience.

Regards
By Lampdog Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 pm
srasmus wrote:Bottom line is I now record music rather than mess around with a mouse, and I don't have to deal with MIDI latency and other time wasting issues.

Exactly why many keep insisting hardware will never die.
Exactly why I never" create" music on computer.