New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By zephonic Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 pm
Hello all,

when I started out making music I worked at a studio that still had the original MPC60, great machine. I eventually bought my own MPC2000 and loved it to bits, but sold it nonetheless in 2002.

I have been ITB since (Cubase), but never entirely happy with the MIDI timing. I just listened to some tracks I did back in the day, and man, I was once again reminded of how tight and spunky the MPC was.

Now contemplating if the MPC Studio would be a good way of getting some of that groove back, so I'd like to hear from owners/users.

* Is it as tight/groovy as the original MPC? This is my main concern. Both in standalone and VST mode.

* How well does the software work? It looks simple and straightforward, is it stable?

* How well does it work as a plug-in? Do you get to keep the sequencing abilities, and does it just sync up to the host tempo?

And any other observations/experiences you may wish to share.

All feedback is welcome, but I am particularly interested in experiences from people who have used/owned both the old hardware AND the new stuff.

Thanks.
By Mike Boogie Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 pm
1. THIS is the most subjective argument that can be started around this forum. As someone that has just made the switch, the answer is IT CAN. But remember you are dealing with software, so if config'd properly, I think you will find it better that what you were using.

2. Simple and can get the job done if you use the same method of think that you had when using your OG 2k. Most of the bugs complaints are just that BUGS. But the same easy MPC work flow plus a whole lot of other flexibility.

3. Not sure yet as I have been just poking around and havent jumped into syncing as a plug in. Most cases I just export/import my sequences to my DAW and arrange there.
By catfingers Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:08 am
from what I can see - on youtube & reading the manual 'simple & straightforward' seem to be true. I don't own an MPC Studio but I will soon - Maschine has been stabbing me in the face with a fork for 18 months now & I've had enough.
By kaydigi Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:25 am
catfingers wrote:from what I can see - on youtube & reading the manual 'simple & straightforward' seem to be true. I don't own an MPC Studio but I will soon - Maschine has been stabbing me in the face with a fork for 18 months now & I've had enough.

You can download the demo software on akai pros website. The audio will timeout after 10 minutes but should give you some good insight.
By kaydigi Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:38 pm
catfingers wrote:
kaydigi wrote:You can download the demo software on akai pros website. The audio will timeout after 10 minutes but should give you some good insight.

excellent suggestion - followed up.

You can also open your mpc 2000 projects in the demo software. That's if you have the project files on your pc Mac
By Dj Skillspinz:The Beatician Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:31 pm
I have been using the MPC Studio for years now. It is very stable as a plug-in in Pro Tools and as stand alone. I haven't had any problems except for a 2 crashes that I can remember. I am able to do everything that I use to do on my MPC 3000, 2000 2000xl and 4000. And i can read all of my old programs and sounds from the machines i listed. You won't go wrong, I say go for it and don't look back.