New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Alex.Teeuwsen Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:55 pm
So I've had an MPC 2500 for a while now and the more I listen to Dilla/Pete Rock/9th Wonder the more frustrated I get and I wanna get it goin. I don't know a lot about this at all.. So basically what I want to know is what exactly I need other than the machine itself to sample and make beats. I don't need an speakers or anything right now because I am okay with using headphones. But because I am ridiculously new to this I am gonna need a step by step kinda explanation. Would appreciate help.

Thank yall. :)
By medearis Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:40 am
Well, you already have your instrument so you're good there.

Next you should think about your sound sources. Most people use a record player + their gramma's old records ( :lol: ) but you can use anything you manage to plug into the record-inputs, which are 1/4" jacks. I regularly use guitars, synthesizers, microphones. No restrictions here - as long as you can plug it in.... you can record it!

So - gather your other instruments/records/etc and get to bangin'
:smoker:
By SimonInAustralia Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 am
Alex.Teeuwsen wrote:So basically what I want to know is what exactly I need other than the machine itself to sample and make beats.

The MPC2500 Operator's Manual, the 2 Addendum Manuals, and the Quickstart Guide, which can be downloaded from the Akai website...

http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpc2500#downloads

...along with reading and comprehension skills, and the time and desire to read and learn from them.
By jibber Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:05 am
- You will need drums, samples, etc.

- To get those into the MPC, you will need sample packs or record them yourself.

- If you want to record yourself, you need a source. This can be anything, TV, Radio, CD's, Videos, Field Recordings, Youtube... the most common (and most respected) source is a turntable and vinyl records.

- You need cables to connect the "source" to your MPC so you can record it. Or you need to record it in another way, and then copy those samples to your MPC from the computer using the USB cable.

- You need to read the manual that came with the MPC.

- You need time, patience and practice.

- To speed it up, look for tutorials on youtube or buy the MPC2500 tutorial e-book from this site (look on the right side of the page -->).

Peace.