New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By epbeats Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:37 am
my 2500 has worked perfectly for 5+ years synced to Reason. I do not sample, so the MPC is used in my setup simply as the mosnter of a drum machine that it is. My workflow was as follows.

Drum loop recorded in MPC
Instrument loops recorded in Reason
MPC sending MIDI clock to reason

Then,

When it is time to arrange, I create my drops and fills based on the main drum loop, then sequence them in song mode

At this point I will disable MIDI clock on reason so I can copy, paste, and edit the instrument patterns on reason freely without snapping back to the point at which the MPC is stopped

Then I will enable MIDI clock and hear the song through. assuming everything is hunky dory,

I open protools, have the MPC receive MIDI clock from protools, and track the drums out via SPDIF. I then record the Reason instruments via Rewire

What I would like to do is have the MPC studio serve a similar function with the new Reason 7 VST capabilities. Basically, if I open the Akai software as a plugin within reason, I would like to be able to use the MPC sequencer for my drum tracks (note repeat please!) all the while making tracks with the Thor and Combinator along side using the Reason sequencer.

I am aware you can control reason modules in the MPC software, that's not really my bag. With both products in their VST infancy, I know I'm asking for trouble, but I suppose my question boils down to can the two midi clocks coexist with a slave/master setup (think: redrum sequencer) or does one just have to take the backseat and just be a module with no pulse?

Side note: I work in a shared space recording studio, and my 2500 has a broken [down] button (wasn't me). I could probably fix it myself but with a limited schedule I simply don't have the time to learn it all and do it right. I will get it fixed for sure, but its injury caused me to look into the studio (not interested in ren) After a very crappy demo at Guitar Center with the MPC software, no studio or Ren and a visit to the one guys in town who might have been able to fix my 2500 (they dont work on MPCs) I am flummoxed. My apologies as this has turned to a bit of a stream of conciousness thing but I'm really sick of doinkin around and this axiom hooked up to Kong so I'm trying to make sure I relay all the details. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

PS if there is a thread where this has been beat to death I apologize, couldnt find it
By 83dude Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:57 am
Actually, I don't quite know what your question is.

I can send MIDI Clock to Reason 7, as well as recieve it from Reason 7. Also, other DAWs can be addressed (like Ableton Live, Logic, Cubase LE, ...), sometimes they work only as master, sometimes both.

You just need to set the MC parameters to your desired setup, no hassle. You can send and recieve MC at the same time, althoug it is beyond me why you'd want that. ;) Just set it up the way you need it.
By Clint Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:28 pm
83dude wrote:Actually, I don't quite know what your question is..

Exactly what I thought.

Thread moved.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:38 pm
epbeats wrote:What I would like to do is have the MPC studio serve a similar function with the new Reason 7 VST capabilities. Basically, if I open the Akai software as a plugin within reason, I would like to be able to use the MPC sequencer for my drum tracks (note repeat please!) all the while making tracks with the Thor and Combinator along side using the Reason sequencer.

Yes, with MPC Software loaded as a plugin within Reason, it will sync it's sequencer tempo to Reason's tempo, and can be used to play drums within the MPC sequencer, while Reason's sequencer can be used to sequence other sounds within Reason.

epbeats wrote:but I suppose my question boils down to can the two midi clocks coexist with a slave/master setup (think: redrum sequencer) or does one just have to take the backseat and just be a module with no pulse?

You don't really want two MIDI clocks to coexist, I think, you want the MPC Software sequencer in plugin mode to slave to the Reason sequencer clock, so that both the MPC Software sequencer and the Reason sequencer run at the same tempo. This is how it works.

epbeats wrote:Side note: I work in a shared space recording studio, and my 2500 has a broken [down] button (wasn't me). I could probably fix it myself but with a limited schedule I simply don't have the time to learn it all and do it right. I will get it fixed for sure, but its injury caused me to look into the studio (not interested in ren) After a very crappy demo at Guitar Center with the MPC software, no studio or Ren and a visit to the one guys in town who might have been able to fix my 2500 (they dont work on MPCs) I am flummoxed.

You most probably need to open it up, desolder the faulty tact switch, and solder in a new tact switch, or get someone to do that for you,..