New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By TeetsWenger Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:45 pm
Looking to purchase a used gray 2000xl for $300-$500, but before I do so I wanted to familiarize myself with a few things.

In order to hook up my MPC- I'll need to run a Midi cable into my m-audio interface? then using my macbook pro I can record the MPC's song or full sequence as its own track in logic or garageband or whatever?

also, What do you guys recommend for audio output on the MPC? I have some beyerdynamic headphones with a 1/4 adapter or I could buy some decent monitors.

Thanks for any insight, I'll be searching the board in the meantime (just registered)
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:15 pm
TeetsWenger wrote:Looking to purchase a used gray 2000xl for $300-$500, but before I do

Stop, no need to go any further.
Nothing wrong with a 2k if you already own it but it's not a smart item to go out and purchase unless you can get it dirt cheap.

If the unit develops screen issues it will tank your investment in an instant.

You will be better off doing more research and choosing a different model MPC
By Lampdog Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:08 am

mpc midi in -> roland midi out
mpc midi out -> roland midi in
(midi is not audio)

mpc audio l/r out -> roland front input L/R
roland back output -> speakers/monitors w built in amp.
or
roland back output -> amp -> speakers without amp.

Usb to computer.

In your daw, choose the roland as your sound card.

Microphones = Low-Z

Instruments (guit, Bass, Keys, CD players, so on) = High-Z
By TeetsWenger Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:08 am
Thanks for typing all that out for me. I will buy that interface soon and I suppose I will research more on the right MPC for me. I don't really have a preference since I haven't used any of them but I was drawn to the look of 2000xl in gray.
By TeetsWenger Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:32 pm
I see a lot of mint condition MPC 1000s in the $400 range. I've read some about this model and it seems people dislike the feel of the pads as well as the buggy OS. Some of the 1000s I see on ebay have JJOS and all the memory upgrades installed, plus the 1000 has a card reader I believe. I am sort of leaning toward that.