New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By shanesuede Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:46 am
hey guys

i haven't been making music for a long time but one problem that always arises for me is making layers and transitions to make the song feel full.

sometimes when i sample things together, it sounds as if there's an on and off switch, turning on and off that sample. is there any tips for me to smooth out these transitions or is it something i'll have to find out for myself?

Thanks
By electric dragon Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 pm
Not sure exactly what you're referring to but it kinda sounds like you need to read up on creating Programs. When assigning samples to pads you can choose how they playback, for example: if the sample is set to Note On, it will only play when you have the pad pressed down. That's not what you want if you want the entire sample to trigger when you tap that pad. There's also ways to assign different pads to Groups so that they interact, for example, putting all the hats into one group so that anytime you hit a pad in that group the sound already playing is stopped and replaced with the new sound (similar to how a real hi-hat works).

Again, I suggest reading the manual or youTubing how to set up samples inside Programs with the MPC next to you so you can try it out immediately.

If your samples aren't blending together look into using a bit of reverb.

Beyond that it also sounds like you could be talking about making your songs groove. That usually just takes time and practice. At first, maybe out of 20 songs you'll make one good one. So make a hundred; then you'll have 5 good ones. The only thing I've ever noticed truly successful people have in common is persistence.
By Bugfix Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 pm
Also:
1 you could set an attack and decay on a sample (simply applying a decay will "short" your sound a lil bit, if you want to make it last longer - you have to set "sustain-loop" at the end of the sample, than the decay setting will make it longer).
2 if you hear clicks at the start/end you have to find "zero-crossing" or smooth it with fade in/out
3 add something in the background that will mask your cuts
By jibber Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:23 pm
Off Topic: Bugfix, your avatar seriously gives me the creeps... :vomit:
By jibber Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:10 pm
Thought so, makes it even creepier... :?
By Coz Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 pm
shanesuede wrote:i haven't been making music for a long time but one problem that always arises for me is making layers and transitions to make the song feel full.

What style of music are you making?

The transitions and layering between different genres is completely different, so it'd help to know what sound you're going for first. 8)
By Bugfix Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:48 pm
Tag One The Fader Fiend wrote:
jibber wrote:Off Topic: Bugfix, your avatar seriously gives me the creeps... :vomit:

Reminds me off the "Child Catcher" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang :lol:

OK OK, I kinda see some similarity.. the thing is.. the other one was "made" :lol:
feelin better now jibber?
By Coz Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:51 pm
Are you sporting a combover there Bugfix? :mrgreen:
By krishi Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:06 pm
+1 for realistic user pics . like mine...
By jibber Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:09 pm
Much better Bugfix, thanks!!! :mrgreen:

Krishi, i actually had a ski suit colored similar to that picture when i was six years old. :oops: :mrgreen: