New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By theRoundBall Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:07 pm
My main question here is, can a MPC be used as a music production workstation on its own? Can you, on one machine, go from sampling, sequencing, tracking, recording, and burning, or extracting a final product file?

I am looking for something that will give me more control over the little things in my music production. And I want to avoid using a computer. I like boxes that have buttons and nobs.

Ok, I am just going to ask specific questions.

little things,
Can you control the panning of samples? If you change the pan on a pad is it permanent, or can you change panning in time while sequencing?

Can you record a track, then re-record the track while applying effects live to the track? So that the effects are saved.

I keep hearing people say things like, "you only get 12 seconds" or "you have to learn to fit everything into 'those' 60 seconds" What does this mean? Do MPCs have limits on pattern time or something?

examples/bigger questions,
On this song Pete Rock drops out tracks all the time which keeps these somewhat repetitive 5 minutes fresh. (see 42 sec., 1:25, 1:45)

Did he record these tracks directly on the MPC and edit out those parts? Is this what you mean by an MPC is a Sequencer? Right now if I want to achieve this sort of effect I definitely can but it doesn't feel organic. I have to record from my sampler into my computer then slice up a track make new tracks with the . . . . . . it sucks. I'm sure I could get to know the DAW better but I'd rather not.

On this song Dilla slows the tempo of the song in the middle of it. listen at 50 seconds

Did he do this with a MPC?

I have more questions but I would rather get some sort of discussion going here. Also, I am looking at buying a 2000xl because it seems to be more what I am going for, I don't want to mess with a computer. And Pete Rock used it, so there's that too. But I would be willing to save up for any MPC if it will give me the control over sound that I want.

I have been making music using a Roland sp-404 sampler and a Boss Dr-Groove 202 for a few years now(I put some links to some songs below). Both of these machines are suited more for a live setting so to record I generally play songs live into my computer(Cubase Daw) or an 8-track. I want to have more control on the production. I don't like the feel of using a mouse and dealing with a Daw. I basically use Cubase as an 8-track and occasionally use some effects.

By Bugfix Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 pm
MPC has nice sequencer, it can record and edit much stuff BUT to fully utilize all features you need to have any programmable knob box, eventually also a keyboard. Sampler on MPCs (except MPC4000) are pretty limited so don't expect going very crazy on knobs with JUST MPC. What is nice to have to company MPC is any sound module/ rack sampler/ synth / or even VSTs in your Cubase as a host. Than you can drive this extenal sound module with your controllers and every change you make will be written to MPC's sequencer as MIDI, so it's fully editable any time (as long as you got sound sources that were used).
Last edited by Bugfix on Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ill-Green Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:14 pm
Yes. I have recently used the MPC500 solo to record my album, THE GRUN REAPER HEADSTONES.

Its very fun and much better than using a DAW because you edit parts as you would a sample. If a vocal part sounds off, just chop it up and make it fit in a song. The 500 has all the effects and filters needed to make tracks pop plus Mastering features. Not all MPCs, but my 500 has a direct record feature, so I can play a beat and record my vocals at the sametime and it'll appear as a long sample and as a acapella.

Just have to change your mindset when looking at an MPC. Don't look at like a sampler, use it like a DAW.

This is the album, all recorded and produced on the 500, no other piece except preamp for the mic and turntable and my Shure 55s mic.

http://www.illgreen.bandcamp.com

Free streaming. :)