New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By hopdaboss Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:53 am
Hello everybody,

I bought an MPC 1000 about half a year ago, and i have certanly not become as skilled using it as i wished i was. I'm now looking into connecting my MPC 1000 to a DAW, becouse i feel like i need a better overview of what i'm doing.

I'm incredibly hooked on producing oldschool hiphop, but i kinda feel like the energy is not there when i'm sitting with only the MPC.

What DAW would you recommend for the MPC 1000? I still want to use the MPCs functions like sampling from vinyl, i just want more overview and a computer based workspace. I've never worked in any DAW, so i would like to start in a program, i don't need to switch later on.

Thanks alot!
By kneebone77 Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:19 am
I recommend Studio One First
and Reaper Second...
By T-Virus Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:46 pm
Try Ableton. Tutor even made a fantastic tutorial book that's covers integration with the MPC. I highly recommend it.
By pituchez Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:28 pm
T-Virus wrote:Try Ableton. Tutor even made a fantastic tutorial book that's covers integration with the MPC. I highly recommend it.

wtf? did he?
where?

i got ableton but i ust use it to record vocals.

id like to get better though.
By THE ADVERSARY Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:52 am
If you aren't running a paid JJ OS I would recommend adding that before any DAW.
By kneebone77 Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:21 am
THE ADVERSARY wrote:If you aren't running a paid JJ OS I would recommend adding that before any DAW.

:nod:
By Clint Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:24 pm
What do you intend on using the DAW for?

It could kill your workflow completely...
By THE ADVERSARY Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:36 pm
Clint wrote:What do you intend on using the DAW for?

Exactly. :nod:
I have seen people do this far too many times.

Read your original post and ask yourself:
-have you actually put the real effort into understanding the 1k?
-are you still wasting time with the Akai OS?
-why doesn't making old school hip hop not feel right from just the MP?
-have you ever looked at any videos of guys using lesser MPs (60, 3k 2k) to really understand how much power the 1k really offers?
-what do you expect the DAW to bring to the table?

hopdaboss wrote:Hello everybody,

I bought an MPC 1000 about half a year ago, and i have certanly not become as skilled using it as i wished i was. I'm now looking into connecting my MPC 1000 to a DAW, becouse i feel like i need a better overview of what i'm doing.

I'm incredibly hooked on producing oldschool hiphop, but i kinda feel like the energy is not there when i'm sitting with only the MPC.

What DAW would you recommend for the MPC 1000? I still want to use the MPCs functions like sampling from vinyl, i just want more overview and a computer based workspace. I've never worked in any DAW, so i would like to start in a program, i don't need to switch later on.

Thanks alot!
By hopdaboss Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 am
THE ADVERSARY wrote:
Clint wrote:What do you intend on using the DAW for?

Exactly. :nod:
I have seen people do this far too many times.

Read your original post and ask yourself:
-have you actually put the real effort into understanding the 1k?
-are you still wasting time with the Akai OS?
-why doesn't making old school hip hop not feel right from just the MP?
-have you ever looked at any videos of guys using lesser MPs (60, 3k 2k) to really understand how much power the 1k really offers?
-what do you expect the DAW to bring to the table?

hopdaboss wrote:Hello everybody,

Thanks alot!

Thanks alot for all the answers everybody!

To be honest, i do not have much workflow anyway at the moment. I have made a couple of very small different beats, but nothing more than that. So i guess i intend to use the DAW for overview and then i kinda think i tell myself it will be "easier", but thats most likely something i make myself believe.

As you say,THE ADVERSARY, i have probably not put enough effort into understanding the MPC 1k (any books, videos, etc you would recommend?) I downloaded the free version of JJOS, is it worth paying for? I think it does not feel right, becouse i simplay are not good enough at it. I do not feel like i improve even though i spend many hours reading the manual. So switching to a DAW might be a desperate reaction from me becouse i am frustrated over, that i am not better than i am. And no, i have never watched videos of the 60, 3k and 2k.
By Ill-Green Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 am
No DAW needed. The MPC can do everything you need it to do unless its VST fx you fiend for. But its all options like sprinkles on an ice cream cone so effects are not really needed unless you create them yourself, then you will be distinctive in your sound.