New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By MiniDX Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:30 pm
If you are never using a computer at any moment of the recording/mixing/mastering process of your track, and doing all or partially those tasks into a standalone MPC, could you share your experience please ?

I'm thinking to trade a MPC Renaissance for a hardware MPC (2500 or 4000) so i can put my computer away from the studio room.

Do you need more stuffs when you are doing that, such as a compressor/gate/de-esser/limiter + an audio recorder or are you fine only with the mpc ?

Thanks.
By 313 studio tricks Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:32 pm
just make sure you are sampling a loop that has all the mixing done for you and you should be good to go chopping it into even slices and retriggering them in order.

otoh if you are expecting to create your own vibe and personality youll need more methinks but thats the beauty of DIY init?

both of those you mentioned are adequate for shaping the sound of your production somewhat. it depends on your end goal as stated above.
By MiniDX Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:15 am
I'm not using pre-mastered loops, i sequence my own synths and drum machines, then i record the whole sequence as a sample with direct record. Then i apply mixing effects to each sample and mastering effects to the master.

It's an effective and cheaper option than a sequencer such as a cirklon + a recorder such as a tascam dp24, if the 2500 or 4000 have good enough tools for mixing and mastering.

So anyone do some serious mixing and mastering inside their mpc ?
By Ill-Green Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:33 am
Well sit down son-son and I'll tell ya how I produced my whole album on the little MPC500.

After finishing the GasMask Tortures using strictly the MV8800, I realized that the whole time I was recording, I was really just sampling and resampling. I could've done it on any sampler I thought. My vocals were practically long samples that were trimmed and chopped to play along the sequence and they were on the pads to trigger any time.

Thats when I decided to try to produce an album on the MPC500.

First thing I did was to test a recording. I made a beat as usual in the sequencer and pressed Play so I can sample one verse. Btw, I have connected a mic preamp into the left input of the 500 for quality vocals. As I recorded I made sure to peep the recording meter that its not too low and not clipping far right. Because for the best sampling sound on the 500, the meter bar should be at least 65% to 75% erected across the screen with its tail slapping occasionally to the far right. Thats how I call them the big fish samples :D Here, the method of sampling must apply to recording vocals. You are just sampling a long sample.

Of course, I don't sequence beats by chaining a bunch of sequences together. I set only one sequence to 99 bars, turn off quantize and the metronome and record like a tape recorder. So thats how I kept the vocals tightly woven into the beat and that way prevented drifting of vocals.

Every song I made on THE GRUN REAPER HEADSTONES was done that way and were recorded to a 2GB CF card. When I was satisfied with every song, I simply recorded them into a CD recorder one by one and then uploaded the disc on the net.

There were other factors like smoking good weed and forgetting to press record to record your greatest freestyle and a crazed barking chihuahua that would **** up a few sessions or how about that lady that was holding me up for a kiss when all I wanted was a dope sample from her record cabinet. She slapped my face then slipped her tongue. But thats another tale to tell in Readers Digest.
By MiniDX Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:18 pm
:lol: :lol:

Interesting :smoker:

Didn't you apply eq's, compressors and such ? Or the fact you sample, resample, and record in the audio recorder created a natural compression ?
By MiniDX Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:18 pm
I just bought a Korg D3200 so i can record there and do the mixing and mastering.

Now i need a multitrack midi sequencer for external gears. I believe i'll get a cirklon because it can sequence through CV and some of my synths use that.

Thanks for the help guys !