New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By manman Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:49 pm
I found a cheap used numark tt-1700, just wondering if there's anything I should know about this as far as quality, or whether it wouldn't be sufficient for learning sampling with MPC. I'm not planning on doing anything professional, just want to get a used MPC1000 and spend some time learning how to use it, focusing first on sampling vinyl.

From the research I've done so far, it seems like people say if you're on a budget, you want to put your good money more on the cartridge/stylus than the turntable itself, so I'm wondering if this is a decent choice. Thanks!

EDIT: Eh...nevermind, I thought it was a good price, but the guy is charging 65 bucks for shipping : / Well, just based on the above, can anyone else recommend a decent turntable that I can use with those other higher quality components? price range I'm looking at is new: under 150, used: under 100
By Clint Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:13 am
Remember if you get a turntable you'll probably need a DJ mixer or other preamp to boost the output level. That's a tight budget but any tt can be used for sampling purposes, in theory.
By manman Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:39 pm
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know I'll need the pre-amp and had considered that as a separate cost, so that price was just for the TT itself. If I had to spend more to get something decent enough quality I would, but just seeing if I can keep that part of the budget down.

Right now I'm looking at a used Technics SL-B2 in good condition I found for a decent price. I know my question is kind of a dumb/over-asked one, but I'm glad I just didn't buy 'anything' because I did learn that one of the newer ones I was looking at had an integrated cartridge that couldn't be changed. With that Technics, I should be able to put a decent cartridge/stylus on it, and be good to go I think.

Between the MPC, cartridge/stylus, amps, monitors etc it all adds up, so that's why I'm trying to keep that TT price down :) Once I have more experience under my belt, I'd be willing to spend the cash to get higher quality stuff.
By motosega Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:32 pm
you really can use *any* turntable for sampling, get whats cheap or free but bear the following in mind:

get a dj turntable, they have pitch control, and have slippery platters for your slipmats. direct drive is better than belt drive. high torque direct drive is best.
hifi turntables are not designed to be manipulated, avoid if possible.

better turntables have higher torque which will make your life easier. you can sample by drop cueing using trigger recording. this makes sample editing much easier later because the start point is already perfect!

don't use a preamp! get a dj mixer, (even a cheap crappy one), they have EQ! you really need this. some of the crappier dj mixers only have two band eq, try to find one with three band eq. better still if it has full kill EQ.

i would recommend getting a vestax pdx2000 turntable. they are cheap secondhand. and well built. they have +/-50 pitch control.

you don't need fancy needles/carts either, just get whatever is cheap. better needles/carts skip less and have higher volume, but they all get the sound off the record.

i personaly have numark ttx turntables, and a stanton sk1f mixer with shure m44g carts.

you can get crappy turntables on ebay for next to nothing. just search for something generic like 'dj turntable' also try local fleamarkets, seccond hand shops, pawn brokers etc.
By pituchez Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:09 pm
im getting an audio technica 1240 but thats more expensive

**** an older mpc..get a red if you can. also here.

here is some shitty one like what you are looking fuh

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60- ... turn+table

belt driver..so thats horrible to begin with.

but its cheap and it will still be ok or a while.
honestly if you plan to use mpc/sample for a while you are better off saving up and invest in a decent t table. anyways. just muh 2 centz.