New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By gqmovement Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:17 pm
mastasteez wrote:Those links you posted are to bits of kit which all require a computer or additional modules.

If you have a laptop and don't mind being tethered to it then the Studio is a sensible option as not too expensive and I hear the software is getting better and better.

If you're happy with hardware, then the 500 or 1000 are your best options. The main differences, I think (as not actually owned a 1000 but have a 500), are: the 1000 has a bigger LCD screen (500 has 3 lines :shock: ), 16 instead of 12 pads, you can use JJOS with it (alternative OS which makes life - sample chopping, note editing and a lot more - easier. It also has more outputs, onboard FX and a more advanced step edit feature. That being said, I did own a 500 for a year and half and loved it. Love it even more now I've sold it and need another one. I ultimately got a Maschine though as I wanted more sounds at my fingerprints without buying more hardware or synths.

You won't know which is best for you though until you've taken the plunge and actially messed with a unit/set up for a wee while.

If I could go back and start again, I'd probably have got the 1000 over the 500 as I did feel limited at times and I liked the look of the advanced 12 levels it offered.

DOPE!

I don't want to be tethered to the laptop as much. I really want to be portable so I can sit and play around where ever I am. If i need to connect end of day to complete a loop and such, so be it.

So thus far with what everyone has said, my best bet is to venture down and obtain either a 500 or a 1000. (Cheers for the comparison side by side.)

With the 500, how much extra hardware/synths would i need to purchase? Would it be extra work just to create a new samples and just have multiple sd cards, or does that result get messy after?

1 major newb question. Say i have my 500, and chilling at a buddy's place. If i wanted to hear/compose my samples into a beat would i NEED to have headphones, or would I have to plug into a monitor (speaker) to listen?
By Lampdog Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:28 pm
I don't want to be tethered to the laptop as much.
500, 1k

I really want to be portable so I can sit and play around where ever I am.
500, 1k

With the 500, how much extra hardware/synths would i need to purchase?
Depends on your needs, you gotta figure that out.

Would it be extra work just to create a new samples and just have multiple sd cards
No

or does that result get messy after?
Depends on you, your file organization.

would i NEED to have headphones
or would I have to plug into a monitor (speaker) to listen?
It has NO speakers in or on it. Think about it.
By gqmovement Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:47 pm
Lampdog wrote:I don't want to be tethered to the laptop as much.
500, 1k

I really want to be portable so I can sit and play around where ever I am.
500, 1k

With the 500, how much extra hardware/synths would i need to purchase?
Depends on your needs, you gotta figure that out.

Would it be extra work just to create a new samples and just have multiple sd cards
No

or does that result get messy after?
Depends on you, your file organization.

would i NEED to have headphones
or would I have to plug into a monitor (speaker) to listen?
It has NO speakers in or on it. Think about it.

blunt but thank you for that. It's now being narrowed to the 500 and 1k.

Have you used either one of these? What was your take on it?
By mastasteez Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:59 pm
Depends on your definition of portable. The 500 is the perfect size and weight to take anywhere. Park, sofa, train, car you get the picture. The 1000 is heavier and bigger and I don't think I'd want it on my lap for long periods (only for editing work as you want it on a flat surface if banging a sequence on the pads).

As Lamp said, no speakers in it so headphones are best for portability. You could hook it up to a hifi or studio monitors when at home.

If you wish to get dusty then you'll need a turntable and mixer. Otherwise you'll have to obtain sounds to create with from sample packs, external synths/hatdware, recording sounds with a mic etc etc.

Use this now and research. Watch a few beat making vids on the 500 for ideas of how people use it. Or the 1000 for that matter. Loads of gems of threads in the 500 forum, just gotta do a little digging and searching.
By kneebone77 Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:03 pm
Price wise your lookin at:

MPC 500 - around $200.00 (Used)

MPC Studio - around $300.00 (Used) $400.00 (New)

MPC 1000 - around $450.00 (-/+Used)

MPC Renaissance - around $600.00 (Used) $700.00 (New)

For the price of those 500's and the fact they can be battery powered I personally think that's your best bet. Unless you know for certain you want the capabilities of JJ O.S. which are the whole reason I love the 1000...
By Lampdog Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:19 pm
gqmovement wrote:blunt but thank you for that.

I didn't want to add to any confusion here.

"You'll never know until you hit it for yourself."
By Menco Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:41 pm
The 500 can run on 6 AA batteries, which make it extremely portable.

Unless you really want to bang out beats on the bus or are tied to a small budget I would go for the 1000.
By gqmovement Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:39 pm

So found a local with a 500, asking $250.

Going to check it.

With regards to checking it out, what should I be looking for? Pad durability? Body wear & tear? Clean audio? Is there a preloaded sample I could download to take and sample it to see how it runs?
By peeping tom Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:50 pm
if there is a music shop around go in and bash on them man, have a play around in the shop, they usually have sounds on cards so people can test them
By pituchez Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:29 am
yea..u wont learn till u try it and really figure out..

i went in head first and eventually balls deep since it reached the shaft.
so i got mpc ren. but i knew i was going to want to use it for a long time.
honestly i wouldnt be able to use it if it wasnt for this forum/utube videos and shit.

i wouldnt have been able to figure this thing out. shits kray.
im pretty sure im not even able to use it to a quarter of its capabilities. i suck
By kneebone77 Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:40 am
gqmovement wrote:Image

Going to check it.

With regards to checking it out, what should I be looking for? Pad durability? Body wear & tear? Clean audio? Is there a preloaded sample I could download to take and sample it to see how it runs?

Try to get them to come down $50 or so bucks... $200 and under are the going rate right now.
By gqmovement Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm
Word.

Yeah I've asked the dude to come down in price and now we wait.

I seen you guys posted the MPC Studio. I understand it's not beneficial to move around with, but would that be a good system to start with? I've seen a few hits on Craigslist for it, but wasn't sure if that's something worth perusing at this time, since i'm starting at ground zero. Figure I should be more fixed on a 500 or 1000, correct?
By Menco Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm
The Studio is great if you want to use any type of MPC in a software/ computer based environment. I used to have the 1000 and still have the 500 and 2500. But when I leave town I usually take my laptop and Studio with me. Less weight than the 1000, more power than the 500.

But to really enjoy the Studio you have to have a decent laptop and like to make music on a computer.
By gqmovement Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:35 pm
Menco wrote:The Studio is great if you want to use any type of MPC in a software/ computer based environment. I used to have the 1000 and still have the 500 and 2500. But when I leave town I usually take my laptop and Studio with me. Less weight than the 1000, more power than the 500.

But to really enjoy the Studio you have to have a decent laptop and like to make music on a computer.

Ah word. Yeah just wanted to get a clarrification.

Really want to be mobile at this time as i'm 0% in this, don't want to be tied and reading the beats since I have no idea what i'm reading (at this time)

I'm following up for the mpc500, hoping to meet tonight. Is there certain items to be looked at (body, buttons - loose/tight, lcd lightup, etc...) but are there any other major items to look into or feel for?

Getting pretty fcuking excited for hits :o
By gqmovement Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:36 pm
kneebone77 wrote:
gqmovement wrote:Image

Going to check it.

Try to get them to come down $50 or so bucks... $200 and under are the going rate right now.

trying for the $200 mark. But there's no 500 available around where I am.
Called a few shops for it, everyone was just like naw.
They have 1k, for 1k -_- but apparently it's loaded with "everything"