New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By HellsWindStaff Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:21 pm
Hey,

Maybe a little introduction before I ask my question. I'm a 21-year old student from Belgium who makes music. I like all kinds of music, but when it comes to making my own music I focus on Disco/house and Hip-Hop.
I think my question is kind of an ordinary question asked many times before. However I couldn't find it asked in this specific way on google. So I ask it here. Is it possible to transfer samples between my computer and a mpc 2000xl via a usb floppy disk drive after formatting the floppy disk with the mpc 2000xl? This might be a dumb question, because most modern samplers work that way. But when it comes to older samplers, I'm totally at sea. I hope someone can clear this up for me!

kind regards,

HWS
By mr_debauch Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:40 pm
yes... but I suggest installing a compactflash card reader inside the 2000xl so it's even easier.

Also, remember especially when using floppies to keep the names of files below 8 characters so nothing gets messed up....
By Lampdog Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:21 pm
Format the floppy in computer with FAT format on the floppy.

Use ONLY 8 character filenames on the floppy or else you will run into
problems later on (well documented here with several users).

The FIRST chance you get change to MCD reader, it's the single best thing you could EVER do for yor 2kxl. I went from floppy to zip to mcd and it was the best thing since sliced bread.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:15 pm
You'll be fine.

There are tutorials in the forum here with pics and details.
By mr_debauch Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:43 am
i still use loads of floppies... they are reliable. A pain since they don't hold much.... but they work. Now would a card reader be a bit better? yeah, but on some old machines they cost more than the machine itself.