New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By messiahmarco Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:20 am
so right now the most bars i can do is 8. but i know that ill have to take it up to atleast 16 bars for the verses of a song. how can i get btter? any tips? also i have this other question. how come when im playing around trying to make a beat on the mpc ren it sounds good, buit once i hit rec and play and try the same beat it sounds so different from how i played it when i was just messing around? any thoughts?
By *Pilchard* Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 pm
messiahmarco wrote: how come when im playing around trying to make a beat on the mpc ren it sounds good, buit once i hit rec and play and try the same beat it sounds so different from how i played it when i was just messing around? any thoughts?

Try turning off TIMING CORRECT (also known as QUANTIZE) and then check what you recorded.
Now try adjusting the quantize and try again.
Quantize can be your friend but needs mastering to use properly, although many people don't use it. It depends how well your natural playing ability is on the mark.

For most basic beats, setting it to 1/16 notes works fine, then adjusting it for the fiddly bits.
Also, take note that you can also quantize after you have recorded it and then use the undo button (I assume the Ren has one) to A-B compare the two versions while changing the quantize value till it sounds right.
Hope this hasn't confused you too much. You can always RTFM if you get stuck.
Sorry that I know so little about the REN but I am strictly old school.
Just didn't like to see you struggling :mrgreen:
By marrelarre Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:51 am
messiahmarco wrote:so right now the most bars i can do is 8. but i know that ill have to take it up to atleast 16 bars for the verses of a song. how can i get btter? any tips? also i have this other question. how come when im playing around trying to make a beat on the mpc ren it sounds good, buit once i hit rec and play and try the same beat it sounds so different from how i played it when i was just messing around? any thoughts?

Well you dont have to do a 16 bar sequence, if you loop your 8 bar sequence its 16 bars.

My biggest tip is: analyze your favorite songs and count the bars so you can figure out the song structure (where variations are etc).
By D-amazin the vinylnerd Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:27 pm
marrelarre wrote:
messiahmarco wrote:so right now the most bars i can do is 8. but i know that ill have to take it up to atleast 16 bars for the verses of a song. how can i get btter? any tips? also i have this other question. how come when im playing around trying to make a beat on the mpc ren it sounds good, buit once i hit rec and play and try the same beat it sounds so different from how i played it when i was just messing around? any thoughts?

Well you dont have to do a 16 bar sequence, if you loop your 8 bar sequence its 16 bars.

My biggest tip is: analyze your favorite songs and count the bars so you can figure out the song structure (where variations are etc).

Very good tip!
By Ill-Green Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:14 pm
I set my MPC to 99 bars and bang out the beat as I make it. I used to chain up sequences but I like the organicness of playing the whole beat and its rather rewarding like a junior mint.
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:13 pm
Ill-Green wrote:I set my MPC to 99 bars and bang out the beat as I make it. I used to chain up sequences but I like the organicness of playing the whole beat and its rather rewarding like a junior mint.

Holy cow, doesn't that get tedious? I'm all for playing the whole song, but I'd rather break it up into sequences of 8-16 bars at a time.