New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By hfinal Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:26 pm
I own an MPC1000, and I am making beats and producing hip-hop/drumnbass like crazy. What i really would want is a synth like the Korg Electribe EA-1 mkII.. Could someone explain what this box is about? I dont understand fully WHAT it does, how you tweak and fix the sounds and how you lay them out in patterns WITHOUT a keyboard?

Is it a good synth for making hip-hop beats and drumnbass?

Using Adobe Audition and a Behringer mixer if it matters.

All help, childish insults and flaming is appreciated!

By hfinal Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:18 am
bump

Help is needed ASAP.

By nanoloop Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:46 am
the korg is a 2part monophonic synth. you can get some decent bass sounds. and them throbbing dnb bass's using cross modulation and osc balance. havent used the mkII but i have got the original ea1, i use all the time with my mpc. still trying to work out how to automate parametres on the mpc though... :!:

alright for hiphop, altought the bass can be a bit rough and articifical for hiphop.

By hfinal Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:48 am
Im still trying to figure out how you program it musically. (that is without a Midi keyboard)

By gertie Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:29 pm
In nearly sure if you look on the korg site you'll see a little demo of it

By deaf-mute Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:59 pm
hfinal wrote:Im still trying to figure out how you program it musically. (that is without a Midi keyboard)

it programs with a 16 pad / bar interface, a bit like a 909 but different machine. if you want the note to hit on note 1 then it's button 1 if you want the note to hit with more velocity you press accent and then it hits harder...

then you can modulate the pitch with different vco's....

By hfinal Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:28 pm
Ahhhh.. So the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16 work as the keyboard when you program it?? I really need sounds that dont sound "cheesy";) Will this be a problem with the EA?

By deaf-mute Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:45 am
hfinal wrote:Ahhhh.. So the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16 work as the keyboard when you program it?? I really need sounds that dont sound "cheesy";) Will this be a problem with the EA?

.you don't have too many options to tweak on the korg... try get a half decent programable synth which is polyphonic, has loads of controllers to make it programmable. then sequence with the mpc...

By hfinal Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:03 pm
I am after synths that dont sound cheesy, but "retro", if you understand. What do you recommend in this case then? Does the Electribe do the job?
By Headphones Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 am
Think of it as a poor man's TB303, Drone synth, virtual analogue synth. But what's cool is it's audio in feature. You can filter any mono source (let's say the snare output of your MPC), vocal, etc.

It's more of a Techno synth in most circles, but you might find it's a decent Virtual Analogue synth for fairly cheap if you're new to synths, or just spot one for cheap on eBay or your pawn shop.

If you use it as it's intended, you get 4 measure patterns & 2 synth parts. The only effect it has is delay, but it is possible to output it into any guitar pedals, fx units, kaoss pads, etc for sculpting the parts as you want.

You don't really get control of Attack/delay/sustain/release, but you can control the gate time to sort of get a ASDR.

Worst case scenario, sample the hell out of it & sell it if you don't like it, or don't want to slave it to your MPC. Best case scenario, it adds a baseline & melody on top of your beats.