New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Buffalotree Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:58 am
First of all, thanks for this forum, I couldn't think of a better place to seek help! I am thinking of buying an MPC, either 1000 or 2000. I've been using software since Noteworthy Composer through modern day fast trackers. Gear experience includes analog synths like Moogs, Korgs, and simple drum machines, XR20, TR707. I haven't delved into the world of hardware sampling yet, so figuring out where to start without a manual or machine is pretty mind boggling. The sounds in my head need to meld together and escape.

I guess my main question is, what is sampling and sequencing like? What can I sample from? Other hardware? Mics? (I've got acoustic instruments and vocal weirdness that I would like to use in tracks with a condenser mic or what are the suggestions for this issue?)

I know the record input for vinyl sampling would be cool, aside from waning to make my own samples. How can I do this? Can I do this?

Is it 16 step pattern building and then layering patterns?

I haven't even begun to figure it out ahead of time. Please help get me on the right track towards my purchase!

Thanks much :)
By *Pilchard* Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:38 pm
So many questions.
Start by downloading the manuals for the units you are interested in.
Mpc-tutor has them all gathered together

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/akai-mpc-manuals/

Making your own samples is really what a sampler is about
You can sample from any line level audio source. If you want to use a condenser mic, you will need a source of phantom power for it. Also, not all samplers have xlr inputs. A dynamic mic with a balanced 1/4 inch lead will be simpler.

If you want to sample from vinyl, you may need an RIAA preamp or a dj mixer to make the signal suitable.
Sampling from CD player or tv etc is much simpler

Most MPCs are phrase samplers. You need to work out what you want from sampling and whether a phrase sampler will fulfil all your sampling needs.

:mrgreen:

ps. Not 16 step. Check the manuals for how it works :-D
By Buffalotree Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:45 pm
Alright! I've ordered my MPC 1000, the reviews and functionality look like I'd be able to use it easier than a 2000.

I've got a Microkorg, XR20, some effects processors, guitar, half stack, drums.

My Behringer mixer has two xlr inputs so that may work well for the mic I am getting, Shure SM 57. I can lead that through the powered mixer, through the effects, through the amp.

Now I see the inputs are for left and right, seperately. Do they make a 1/4" to Left and Right cable that would work for this kind of thing?

What is the best type of cable to buy? I'm thinking about musicians friend, so any specific cable you guys know if there I will like to try it.
By Buffalotree Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:56 pm
I guess to explain better I usually record synth as this:

Korg > Line 1 (1/4") Mixer > Effects pedals (1/4" couplers) > Half Stack (1/4" cable) If I'm doing it live I'll halt here cause the half stack sounds good with digital instruments linked this way to the ear. If I'm recording to my PC I'll then use a 1/4" to Mic In for a conventional laptop. It's not pro quality but it's good for tunes amongst friends.

Now that I'm not going to laptop recording, I guess the question was what cable would go out from the amp head (headphone line) to the MPC1000?

Sorry for being confusing, just trying to get the info right before I further frustrate.