New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Buffalotree Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:58 pm
Got my MPC 1000. Just trying to et familiar with using it. So when I turn it on the 128 mb screen shows, the JJ os screen shows, then it goes to Now: 001.01.00 Sq. 01-DJ- Hip_Hop I think it is the factory main screen. Am I wrong? The window button is glowing orange. When I press mode it doesn't even flash or do anything. Shouldn't I be able to navigate without it starting to this screen? What's wrong here?
By Buffalotree Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:14 pm
Okay now after I press play I can hit the pad sounds but they sound messed up. Full levels are on but for this demo DJ shit, some pads sound like they have reverb, some too quiet, some seem to auto roll, some play when pressed and when released? Should they be crisp clear one shot no repeat? This is ****.
By *Pilchard* Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:54 pm
Sounds like the AUTOLOAD is switched on and loaded some files that demonstrate everything that the machine can do.
You should turn AUTOLOAD off and sample some of your own sounds into it. Make your own programs and settings.

:mrgreen:
By Buffalotree Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:43 pm
I press mode, it doesn't flash, I press load, nothing happens. It's like it doesn't want me to access anything. Is there another way to turn auto load off? It's like there's no options for anything from this demo screen.
By *Pilchard* Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:57 pm
If MODE doesn't flash etc. etc. then yes something is messed up.

If you feel competent to try to try to fix it yourself, open it up and make sure all the ribbon connectors are properly pushed home/reseated. Try removing the RAM.
If these don't help, try reinstalling the operating system.
By Buffalotree Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:47 am
Thanks Pilchy :)

All connections look solid inside, all buttons moving mechanically. Could be software? This was an eBay purchase from a professional recording studio, advertised as "great working and physical condition" yet I can't get past the crappy demo song and have actual non sarcastic fun with it.

There is no memory card so I reckon plugging it into USB to correct hardware COULD work. My PC reads the connect, installs device driver, etc. then I go to "Computer" to open the drive and it just shows the C:/ drive. Even though it's plugged, it's like its not there.

I contacted the seller. Apparently he got a good review for helpin. Resolve a damaged item issue in the past. Not sure what went wrong here.

Not sure what to do besides address the problem to people responsible and hope they can fix their mistakes however that be.

It sure would be swell to make some music on this blast thing.
By Buffalotree Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:56 am
Is the MPC 1000 such a thing that it won't allow you to use it (as what's happening here) if a card is not in the slot or a hard drive is not installed? Introduction on what is needed to perform was very vague. Do I need these things to use it just to get familiar? I know the 16 integrated space isn't very awesome but I didn't plan to get a card and record a lot til I got my mics in.

Maybe nothing's working and navigation is disabled because of no hard drive or card. I should still be able to press mode damnit.
By *Pilchard* Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:54 am
You don't need a card or a hard drive to use it, it should work perfectly well without.
However your PC won't see anything unless you have a card in the drive.

You will need a card if you want to reinstall the OS. If you already have a password, just download the OS from JJ . shouldn't be necessary to re enter the PW.
If you have the free JJ OS just download that and re install.

Did you try removing the ram?
Bad Ram can sometimes cause problems. It only takes a minute to remove.

:mrgreen:
By Buffalotree Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:42 pm
No avail! It's as if all the F1-6 do not work, and a few buttons on the right. I asked an MPC repairman and he said something about it being frozen and maybe needing a new main board. If have to pay shipping, 60$ refundable diagnostics fee, 275 for the part and 75 for labor. All assuming it doesnt magically start working and or the seller doesn't refund it back for my 500. I was stoked on the pad upgrade too.

I'll give it a few days to hear back and to hope it stops acting up then I'll contribute some funding towards the dreaded repairs. This has turned out to be a real bummer. Maybe once up and running it will be good inspiration for a handful of heartfelt tracks.