New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Ant Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:28 am
Guys what is it about this machine?

I have no idea as I am new to it, but want to hear from the guys who know it well with no Hype!

So what make it so special?

Over the years, I have read about its groove and sound and so on.

Is it really that good?

I cant wait to find out after I load some sounds into mine :)
By abc Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:17 am
Classic piece of gear, second model released I think. Used by many of the greats during the Golden Age so it's like holding a piece of history. It's limitations give it an appeal similar to the appeal a carpenter might feel building his house by hand.
By Ill-Green Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:40 pm
Yeah its a 2nd gen MPC but its the 3rd MPC from the line after the MPC60II.

3000 has a basic layout and easy to use. It also gives drums a thickness that its mostly praised for. Its the type of sampler that will grow on you and will be your main tool. Its that fun to use. People I know that have it, can't see themselves on any other machine than the 3000.

3000 has improvements over the 60 like better sampling and is 16 bits. Many will flock to the 60 because its 12 bit but thats all. Sampling on the 60 is a little awkward by dialing in the time to sample. Unlike the 3000 its traditional.
By BoyOfVirtue Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 pm
Ill-Green wrote: Sampling on the 60 is a little awkward by dialing in the time to sample. Unlike the 3000 its traditional.

What do you mean by this? When sampling on the 3k, you still need to select the time of the sample beforehand.....there's no "stop sampling" button like on later models
By abc Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:47 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Yeah its a 2nd gen MPC but its the 3rd MPC from the line after the MPC60II.

3000 has a basic layout and easy to use. It also gives drums a thickness that its mostly praised for. Its the type of sampler that will grow on you and will be your main tool. Its that fun to use. People I know that have it, can't see themselves on any other machine than the 3000.

3000 has improvements over the 60 like better sampling and is 16 bits. Many will flock to the 60 because its 12 bit but thats all. Sampling on the 60 is a little awkward by dialing in the time to sample. Unlike the 3000 its traditional.

Did Linn work on the 3k or was he out by then?
By peterpiper Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:52 pm
abc wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:Yeah its a 2nd gen MPC but its the 3rd MPC from the line after the MPC60II.

Did Linn work on the 3k or was he out by then?

AFAIK the 2000 was the first "nonLinn MPC".

peace
By Ill-Green Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:59 am
BoyOfVirtue wrote:
Ill-Green wrote: Sampling on the 60 is a little awkward by dialing in the time to sample. Unlike the 3000 its traditional.

What do you mean by this? When sampling on the 3k, you still need to select the time of the sample beforehand.....there's no "stop sampling" button like on later models

I think there was an update that maxed it. Anyhoo my bad. I don't own one but heard about inputting the sample time for the 60 frequently.
By BoyOfVirtue Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:46 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
BoyOfVirtue wrote:

I think there was an update that maxed it. Anyhoo my bad. I don't own one but heard about inputting the sample time for the 60 frequently.

I have a 3k with 3.5 Vailixi, and there's no Stop Sampling command, so yeah I think you may be mistaken.