New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By gripz Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 pm
So I've been working with my new 2500 for about a week now, **** love it! One question though, I've tried to re sample my sounds with fx applied etc, by going into record mode and selecting main out, but the record screen never shows any input? Do I have to do it differently in JJXL?

E: this thread is probably in the wrong sub forum.. Apologies..
By BoyOfVirtue Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:54 pm
The R/L levels won't move, but it will still record sequences/samples if you trigger them.

Arm the recorder and it'll say "waiting for input" until you play a sequence or trigger a sample. Also, make sure to check the master level (mode + Pad10).... if it's set to anything but 0db your recording will be quiet
By gripz Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:36 am
BoyOfVirtue wrote:The R/L levels won't move, but it will still record sequences/samples if you trigger them.

Arm the recorder and it'll say "waiting for input" until you play a sequence or trigger a sample. Also, make sure to check the master level (mode + Pad10).... if it's set to anything but 0db your recording will be quiet

Cool.. Thanks I'll try it out. One other question I had.. I'll probably figure it out through more experimentation on my own, but say I sampled the decay of a long string note and filtered it, so I've got a nice "base ambience" to lay my drums to.. The chop as it is isn't nearly as long as I'd like I'm trying to extend the note over an entire bar so I can change the key in each bar but it just kinda sounds shitty re triggering it. I assume I can clean it up by playing with the attack of the sample as i retrigger it?

I know there's a million and one ways to go about this, but would I be better off finding a longer sample? Or is what I'm trying to do achievable with creative use of the sampler
By BoyOfVirtue Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:10 am
gripz wrote:
BoyOfVirtue wrote:The R/L levels won't move, but it will still record sequences/samples if you trigger them.

Cool.. Thanks I'll try it out. One other question I had.. I'll probably figure it out through more experimentation on my own, but say I sampled the decay of a long string note and filtered it, so I've got a nice "base ambience" to lay my drums to.. The chop as it is isn't nearly as long as I'd like I'm trying to extend the note over an entire bar so I can change the key in each bar but it just kinda sounds **** re triggering it. I assume I can clean it up by playing with the attack of the sample as i retrigger it?

I know there's a million and one ways to go about this, but would I be better off finding a longer sample? Or is what I'm trying to do achievable with creative use of the sampler

Anyone I spend a bunch of time modifying a particular sample to fit my music, I usually regret it. Seldom is a particular sample so extraordinary that its worth much time spent to get it to fit a beat. Especially in this case, where it sounds like you're just looking for a sustained tone.... you can find that easily

With that being said, I can suggest three things:
1) smooth the start/attack of the sample somewhat, and just retrigger it. Even if it sounds choppy on its own, layering drums and other samples will cover that up most likely.
2) pitch it down to lengthen the sample. If you need it to stay in the same key, just pitch it down a whole octave
3) loop the sample. This is something I don't know much about as I seldom do it, but it can be done to great effect. Perhaps someone else can offer some more advice with this. Otherwise, you may want to search these forums for "cross-fade loop" or "x-fade loop"
By Bugfix Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:37 pm
for most realistic (and easy way) sound I would advise to loop just a portion (few cycles) at the middle or the end of original sample so just the tail will be "false"

I------------I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I--I

loop long phrase that will "fit" to the beginning of a loop

I------------I-------I-------I-------I-------I