New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By TheLetter3M Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:34 pm
Hi, I figured that this is an asked question very frequently but I've looked here and could not find a forum that pertained to the specific issues. I have an Akai MPC 4000, An M-Audio M-Track plus interface and a KRK Rokit 6 monitor. At the moment everything is hooked up, but that is where I lack as this is an analog machine. I have been using NI Maschine for a couple of years and due to the ability of using the interface via USB I've had no problems hooking it up and hearing playback on the monitor. I've tried uploading a sample already in the harddrive (as I cannot use the CD drive at the moment because since it was used that is the defective part that I need to replace, it will not open) but I am not sure if I connected it right. I have a MIDI cable going out on the A port of the MPC, going into the MIDI IN on my interface, then the interface is connected to the monitor via XLR/Stereo Jack. Is there something wrong with the connection? It may also be that I'm loading the sample wrong or not doing the process correctly. I've tried looking up youtube videos and to be honest majority of them are not instructive whatsoever as to the VERY basics of working the MPC. Granted I do have the manual and am looking at it, but it still is in very basic form and doesn't have suggestions due to the specific issue. Sorry to sound like a noob, but I'm not going to give up on it, I'm just looking for any push in the right direction or someone who has more knowledge and is willing to pass that on. Thanks for the time and hopefully someone is able to assist me with said issue. Thanks again!
By BoyOfVirtue Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:46 pm
I have exactly zero experience with MIDI but it is my understanding that it does not transmit audio. I believe you will need to connect the MPC to the audio interface with two 1/4" cables IN ADDITION to the MIDI cables.

Try listening to your samples on the MPC with headphones first, just to make sure that there IS audio to be heard.
By TheLetter3M Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 am
You are right, I don't know how that slipped by -_- but I figured out the sound issue as I just connected the MPC straight to the Monitor. Thank you for the timely reply though.

If by chance, have you experienced any shop use from MPCStuff.com? I am located in Los Angeles and I have yet to find a place that can repair near here....So I am considering MPCStuff, but due to shipping it may be kind of costly as they are in NC.
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:57 am
If you are located in LA, you'll be able to make use of the services of Bruce Forat, the most trusted MPC repairman in the world. He just happens to be local for you--more or less.

http://www.forat.com/
By TheLetter3M Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:18 am
Literally stumbled on his site today before reading this reply. Thanks though and good looks on the site anyways. Already called and he said he'd fix it right up for me and there are definitely great reviews so I'm happy. So thanks again man!