New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By thedelakore Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:34 pm
I know this question may have been asked a million times but I am a novice when it comes to the MPC 3000 and I have a ton of questions. Right now, I am trying to read the original manual but i'm just lost. I have a funk set disk downloaded into the machine but when it comes to hearing the sounds i hear absolutely nothing. I at least want to sequence some drums before i start sampling.

Does any know a simple step by step process on what to do? Like i said, I'm a beginner...SERIOUS beginner, and i need as much help as possible on knowing how to at least hear the drums I've put into the machine.

Thanks if you can
By BoyOfVirtue Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:32 pm
Is this your first MPC ever? If so, I gotta ask why you decided to go for the priciest, least user-friendly MPC out there.....don't get me wrong, I love my 3000, but I'm glad it's not the first one I bought.

ANYWAYS, here you go:
1) DISK - 7 - locate desired sound and press "Load"
2) PROGRAM SOUNDS - 1 - Press the desired pad - Rotate jog wheel until your sound is selected
3) Once you have a sound selected, this pad will trigger that sound whenever you strike it.

I highly suggest you familiarize yourself with this document here:
http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/Akai%20M ... Manual.pdf
By thedelakore Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:18 pm
BoyOfVirtue wrote:Is this your first MPC ever? If so, I gotta ask why you decided to go for the priciest, least user-friendly MPC out there.....don't get me wrong, I love my 3000, but I'm glad it's not the first one I bought.

ANYWAYS, here you go:
2) PROGRAM SOUNDS - 1 - Press the desired pad - Rotate jog wheel until your sound is selected
3) Once you have a sound selected, this pad will trigger that sound whenever you strike it.

Lol yes it is my first. I know its challenging but I figured if I got the least user friendly one and master it I would be on a righteous path! Plus I love the sound. Thanks for the info!
By thedelakore Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:23 pm
BoyOfVirtue wrote:Is this your first MPC ever? If so, I gotta ask why you decided to go for the priciest, least user-friendly MPC out there.....don't get me wrong, I love my 3000, but I'm glad it's not the first one I bought.

ANYWAYS, here you go:

I've also tried reading that manual. I have the worst attention span ever...
By BoyOfVirtue Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:20 pm
Well, I commend you for your positive attitude. It is an excellent machine, and it is the favorite MPC of many--myself included--but it has a steeper learning curve than many other drum machines.

The sound is great and the minimalistic interface is enjoyable to use once you get the hang of it, but it can be terribly unforgiving. When I first got mine, it wasn't uncommon that I'd spend a couple hours chopping samples only to realize that I couldn't do anything with them and that I had just wasted my time. As my technique and especially my ear improved, this stopped happening--thank goodness.

The manual can be a bit dry, but becoming familiar with it is key to making the most of your machine. Loading sounds from a disk to pads is a very basic function, and if you were unable or unwilling to learn how to do this on your own, it does not bode well for your future on the 3000.

I don't mean to chastise you, I just want you to approach your MPC appropriately--for your own sake.

Congratulations on acquiring an MPC3000, and i wish you the best of luck with your music 8)
By dshook Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:01 am
Good buy - I would say the 3000 is a lot more straightforward than the newer MPCs - better sounding but with less bells and whistles. Here are the basic screens you need to load and play sounds, and some tips:

DISK-7 (Load) load your sounds from disk.
PROGRAM/SOUNDS-5 Sample in sounds from the inputs (best way to go, must set length ahead of time, starts recording automatically when the input level passes the threshold)
PROGRAM/SOUNDS-6 Edit your sounds (start/end points, reverse, master level, etc etc - play around)
PROGRAM/SOUNDS-1 Create a program (move to the program name and rotate the wheel / type the keys to name it) Then push pads and assign sounds to them. This screen also selects the active program. Develop some kind of pattern as to which pads and banks you use for what.
PROGRAM/SOUNDS-2 / 3 Further sound editing / filter
DISK 4 - Save your program to disk. Always put groups of sounds into programs and save and load them that way, otherwise you have to go one sound at a time which gets tedious, and it's much harder to keep them organized.

The sequencer is pretty straightforward (at least the basics), so not much to explain there. Once you learn the 3000 you'll be able to fly around it very quickly, hardly looking at the screen, unlike the newer machines. Good luck.