New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By MumblinSteveDubya Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:48 pm
Whats up everybody!?

I am a newbie to the forum and will be lurking around getting as much info as possible before I buy my first MPC

I have been playing around with music for a long time with not much to show for it! :WTF:

Realising that I need to get away from computers I'm hoping that the MPC workflow will finally get me to finish some tracks.

By the time I have saved up some pennies hopefully there will still be a 4000 out there with my name on it!

This looks like a great forum + I am sure I wont be asking too stupid a question.

Cheers

Steve

I am based in the UK so if there is anybody in the Sussex area who wouldn't mind showing me round their MPC that would be cool.
By Coz Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:28 am
Welcome to the boards Steve. :)

I'm in the Midlands so it's a bit of a treck from where you are, but I can give you a decent overview of the MPC 4000 if you don't find anyone closer to home.
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:08 pm
The 4000 is the most powerful and is the favorite of many great beatmakers, but I'd suggest grabbing a 1000 to start. They can be found for less money, are significantly more user friendly, and are newer--so less chance of problems occurring. Even moreso if you have no experience with MPC

If it turns out that you really love the MPC you can always flip the 1000 for a similar price as to what you paid and grab a 4000
By BoyOfVirtue Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 pm
Not that I know of. It's a little tough to really test all of the functions of an MPC if you don't know how to use it, but if you find one in your area, have the guy demonstrate its ability to sample a sound, perform some rudimentary chops and play them through the pads/outputs.

Here in the US they go for $300-400, I wouldn't pay more than 300 unless it was in mint condition or maybe if it had some upgrades.

Good luck!
By MumblinSteveDubya Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:26 am
Thanks BoyOfVirtue + MPC Tutor

By the time I go and pick one of these up, after all the research I'm doing I think I will be showing the owner a thing or two!

Will def be reading article as soon as it's live.

Cheers
By MumblinSteveDubya Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 pm
So I managed to pick up a mpc1000 for £200 8)
Its in pretty good nick with new style pads and expanded ram.

Couple of the buttons seem a little bit iffy but looks like these can be easily replaced.

Will give it a deep clean over the next few days and report back.

Then I just need to get JJOS installed....and get the tutorial.

Is it worth installing JJOS free until I can afford to get the XL version?

Thanks

Steve
By distortedtekno Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:50 am
The free version of the JJ OS is definitely better than the Akai OS.