New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By elroy1975 Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:44 pm
I recently decided to get back into making some beats and playing around with some live techno. About 10 years ago, I had an MPC 2000XL, so I'm not a total newbie to these machines. But currently I'm at a loss on saving and loading sounds. I bought the 5000 from a local guy used. He told me he bought it refurbished, and it seems in great shape. He was working on hip hop, and when it turns on, it's got a track he was working on that loads up as the first Sequence.. It's a 72 BPM hip hop track, and all the samples and synths he was using to make it load up as default sounds. Several times now, I have deleted all that work, and started fresh with the 1st sequence, clicked the Mode-Pad3 combo and "save all sounds and programs".. But every time I shut it off, and turn it back on, It's back to the Hip hop track, and nothing I do is being saved. What am I doing wrong?
By selecta jo Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am
welcome to the forums!

that track from the previous owner is most likely loading at startup of the machine because it (or the entire folder it resides in) is set to "autoload".

to prevent this read your manual on how to switch off autoload entirely, or on how to set it to a track or folder of your own music.

to save your own work the best way is to always save "the entire memory" to a new folder, either on the internal harddrive or to a cf-card and never overwrite previously saved material.
this is the best way to save all the elements (samples, tracks, sequences, midi data) without the danger of load/save errors and also the best way for recalling, because you only have to load the "project" file to get your mpc to the exact same state when you were saving.
you can always delete old or double saved folders later if you run out of storage space.

to learn other ways of loading and saving read the manual, because the mpc5000 has some special harddisk recording features the other mpc (500/1000/2500) from that era don´t have.
also don´t sleep on the internal va-synth which is basically a mixture of the alesis ion/micron/fusion synth engine and is very good sounding for a va-synth.

have fun!

peace, jo