New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By hankchilliams Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:11 pm
So I've been a musician and an absolute music fanatic since I was very young. One hobby of mine that I started back when I was 8 years old was record collecting. I have a pretty substantial library after collecting for a little more than 15 years now, and have a lot of classics on wax. Since I have a deep passion for hip hop, especially the production side, and I've been itching to learn a new instrument ever since I graduated college and started working, I thought it made the most sense to get into production and making beats.
My biggest problem is I have very little experience with any sort of production equipment. Obviously my goal is to scratch and sample off of all the records I have, and I've done a very small amount of research into MIDI Pad Controllers (since I am a drummer and thought it would work best for me to have pads to beat on) but don't know what's best for someone who hasn't touched any equipment like this before. Through my research, the MPC Studio looks to be my best bet, but I want some advice from experienced individuals before making a purchase.
Wanted to get some feedback and see what you guys think my next step in this process should be purchase wise. What's the best for thing for someone like myself who has a lot knowledge of and experience with making music, just not in this capacity? And the biggest thing: what do I need to get besides the MPC Studio (if that truly is the best product for me) to be able to spin the records and sample and chop up off of them? Thanks in advance.
By Doc00Cosel Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm
In my opinion, I think something like the MPC studio or Ren would be good. The software is easy to learn and MPC's are pretty easy to navigate. The first sampler I had was a roland sp-303. I had it connected by midi to my dr 202 drum machine. Needless to say that was a looooong time ago. These days with VST's and plug ins, everything can be worked off of one machine. As for midi, I have my Ren controlling all of my other pieces of hardware. Some may disagree, but from the hardware I've used over my time of making beats, MPC's are the most user friendly. Again, thats just my opinion. I'm sure others will start posting what they think to this thread. I'm sure some of them have equipment I have never used and can give you more insight on what else is out there. As for actually making a beat and you being a 15 year plus music vet, you'll develop quickly. :shock:

LOL!! Hank Chilliams! Nice!
By medearis Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:29 pm
Keep in mind that the MPC Studio does NOT have an audio interface (sound card that connects to your computer). You will have to factor that in to the initial investment. Nothing stopping you from getting an MPC Studio & a Zoom H2 as an interface.

Maybe if you're just looking to get your feet wet an MPC 1000 might be a better solution because it's "all inclusive". Just need a pair of headphones and you're up & running.
By Paradox1 Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:02 am
Studio is decent, i love mine, plus you get regular updates. As said above there is no Interface but you could cop a focusrite 2i2 for cheap depending on what size studio you how many input you want to record
By sonic_spinz Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:28 pm
Mpc is really easy to use and learn. Plus u got a lot of wax so that's gr8. Cut ur loops, zone ur drums n 1shots build up those libraries nd u will be good. I'm a drummer too so don't get too caught up on the pads idea you won't be able to roll on them and it gets registered as input lol