New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By HeavyHeavyHeavy Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:03 am

Alright even though I can tell this image is made extremely simple I have a couple of questions about it and I'm pretty sure the answers are obvious but I can't find them anywhere.

So,

does this imply that the audio from the ren does not come from the laptop but rather the MPC itself?

like REN>LAPTOP>SPEAKERS/STUDIO MONITORS

and if so, is a mixer necessary like the picture shows or can the REN plug directly into speakers?

and lastly I'm mainly asking because I'm getting some Numark TTX's soon and want to be able to link those up with my MPC through to the same speakers, would a DJ Mixer be okay to use? Like this...

please excuse the shit artwork...
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 am
HeavyHeavyHeavy wrote:does this imply that the audio from the ren does not come from the laptop but rather the MPC itself?

Yes, the Ren contains a computer audio interface - you connect the Ren to your computer via USB and at that point the Ren's audio interface is recognised by your computer as a viable system audio device. You then configure the MPC Software to use this audio interface for both incoming and outgoing audio.

The audio itself will now be outputted via the Ren's audio outputs.

is a mixer necessary like the picture shows or can the REN plug directly into speakers?

It's not necessary, you can connect the audio outputs from the Ren directly into your amp/speakers. However if you have multiple hardware devices (other samplers, synths, turntables etc) a mixer will act as a central control hub where each device is connected to its own dedicated input channels with independent control over level, pan, EQ etc.

You can use a DJ mixer instead, if it has enough inputs, for example your decks do into the usual phono inputs and your MPC Ren output goes into a dedicated line input channel. The amount of control you would have over the Ren audio will be limited to the features available for that line channel. This cheap Behringer looks like it's effectively a 3 stereo channel mixer

http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/behri ... ixer--5735

It's limited compared to a proper mixer, but it gives you basic EQ and level control over your Ren main stereo output (which goes into channel 1 on the mixer).