New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By sonic_spinz Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:31 pm
Ok so I'm a noob just bought a 2000xl got a mixer and everything. Just bought a phono preamp and it sucks returning it today... what is a good preamp to get because when I search the net I only get a few results that can't be all that's out there and there ain't many with a gain control on it and/or a power button.

In other news I might be readin it wrong but TFM said the rec gain is for the record in. If that's true shouldn't I be able to direct port from phono to mpc and boost it there? Where would I listen to it. idfk. But I need a phono preamp and a good one too.
By distortedtekno Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:45 pm
If you want a good preamp, buy the Cambridge Audio or the NAD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A0CYCK/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFMM7TC?psc=1

You don't need a gain output on the preamp since you can use your MPC's record gain to adjust your recording volume. Also, you can't connect your turntable to your MPC without a preamp because records are cut with no low end. The preamp acts as an EQ which is set to RIAA standards. Without the preamp, your records will sound really thin and the volume will be too low. The record gain on the MPC really wont help at all.
By sonic_spinz Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:12 pm
Thanks I will try one of those out. Yea I tried it out and the waves were like paper no sound. But I ran into another problem last night...just understanding y I can't save anything using my cf reader. Wrong os so now I gotta get a floppy and upgrade o's and reinstall. Good thing I hoard old tech at my Moms. bad thing is she's 5+hrs away lol
By motosega Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:36 am
you really want a di mixer rather that an riaa phono preamp.
a DJ mixer has a lot of gain so you can push it into the red, it also has equal so you can shape the sound a bit before sampling.

IMHO the "classic " mpc sound has a lot to do with pushing the mixer into the red.

the good news is that even a fairly crappy DJ mixer will do. you don't need a scratch crossfader, but 3 band equal is preferable and full kill equal is luxury.

seccond hand DJ mixers cost the same as or less than phono preamps.

ideally your DJ mixer will have Booth and master outs, plug the Booth outputs into your mpc and the master outs into you main mixer. that way you can listen to records without turning on the mpc.