For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By StayKrushN Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:04 am
I have a Fender Rhodes VST Instrument that I have playing through a stereo channel on my Firewire Mackie Onyx 1220i. I have a Stereo delay pedal plugged into my Aux and coming back onto a stereo Aux Return, where I apply the effect using my Aux knob.

I would like to apply a Mono Distortion pedal, BEFORE the signal is effected by my Stereo delay pedal.

If I run a Mono pedal and apply it on Aux 1, to my Stereo Fender Rhodes VST instrument, would it cause the signal to turn mono? Or would my Fender Rhodes still have it's Stereo Image, but ONLY the distortion EFFECT be in mono?

In my mind, I see the Mono distortion pedal running through Aux 1 and returning to the "L" Mono input of the Aux Return and the Stereo Delay running through Aux 2 and returning to stereo Aux Return 2.

Would my Stereo channels, either software or hardware, playing through my Onyx 1220i, lose their stereo image if they have a MONO pedal Aux applied to them?

Thank you, I'm still researching this and learning everyday as much as I can before I buy stuff and not be able to use it properly.
By mr_debauch Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:13 am
the delay is probably fine for taking a mono signal and returning a stereo.. I think it would be perfectly fine doing it that way.. you get the stereo effect from the delay anyways... i mean, does it sound good?
By StayKrushN Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 pm
I don't have the distortion pedal yet, i'm just asking before buying.

My rhodes has an autopan type of effect (sound goes left to right, back and forth) going on it. it would then be going through the distortion pedal, which would be mono, and through the stereo delay/reverb.

i just wanted to keep that original autopan and stereo image, while having the distortion applied.

I just wouldn't want the Mono pedal to "squish" the big stereo image i've got going.
By mr_debauch Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:25 am
Yeah forget it then... it will.. if you have a tremolo type of thing panning around then you might just want to get a VST pluggin distortion (there are plenty of nice ones out there) that you can apply on the top of the rhodes internally..