New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By LazarusDreams Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm
Hello Everyone,
I have been thinking about finally pulling the trigger on getting an MPC. My goal is to compose minimalist tracks (Coldwave/DarkWave) EBM based music to support my guitar playing. I do NOT want to use a computer DAW setup, I want hardware based and I want to be limited on purpose. I am setting the goal of working with a budget.

My idea was to purchase an MPC1000 and a single starter synth, I have had my eye on the Microkorg. The MicroKorg sounds great and fits my budget but it only has 4 voice polyphony. So I want to use the MPC to sample any Pad, Bass, Lead etc I come up with on the MicroKorg to the MPC and sequence everything in the MPC triggering the samples. That would also allow me to use the MPC's midi out to trigger one Synth patch real time straight from the synth. Does that make sense?

I know MPC is killer for drums and looped samples, but how is it sampling pads for example? With the understanding of a learning curve is this a realistic expectation of the MPC, to not only sample drums but pads as well and have them play smooth? That way I could compose full tracks using only my Microkorg for sounds (Both sampled and live)

Laz
By sameier Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:15 am
Sampling single hits and sounds is ok, but if you want to multi-sample synths, automated sample grabbers on PC will be a better choice.
They can be set to record the whole keyboard in intervals (using MIDI) and mapped with JJOS2 perfectly to simulate the synth on the MPC1000.
Yeah, the 128MB will mean you can't hold many synths at once in memory.
By LazarusDreams Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:11 pm
sameier wrote:Sampling single hits and sounds is ok, but if you want to multi-sample synths, automated sample grabbers on PC will be a better choice.
They can be set to record the whole keyboard in intervals (using MIDI) and mapped with JJOS2 perfectly to simulate the synth on the MPC1000.
Yeah, the 128MB will mean you can't hold many synths at once in memory.

I have nevet heard of that but its a good idea. Any suggestions on a sample grabber program/vst that does this? My knowledge of them is nada. Or is it a process with any vst sampler?
By sameier Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:08 am
I have used Extreme Sample Converter with good results.
In the end I have made my own solution with PureData, but that requires a lot of fiddling and is only for freaks.