New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By distortedtekno Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:09 am
Do you have a good computer? If you're more at home with software, the MPC Touch will suit you. Or would you rather go strictly with hardware? Maybe the MPC1000 would suit you better. Do you have any other gear? Do you have an amp, speakers, and a mixer?
By richie Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:13 am
I suggest you use a computer to make beats, learn how that all works and decide if you want to branch out from there.
By Bugfix Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:53 pm
richie wrote:I suggest you use a computer to make beats, learn how that all works and decide if you want to branch out from there.

I don't know.. software route can spoil whole attitude to make music with too many things you got to have before you even get started. In mpc youre getting all packed with no latency issues, and you can still use any computer.
By Ian Canefire Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:35 pm
MPC 4000 and you will never look back. It can do more than you will be able to fully utilize.
The price has fallen so far now. I doubt you will find an unused one.
Other than that Korg gadget is inexpensive, easy and full of great sounds. No latency issues. Just need an ipad.
Peace
Ian
By richie Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:00 am
@Bugfix I hear what you're saying man. But really, people don't really have 'latency' issues when doing sampled based stuff on computers now. The latency only really occurs when they get into using vsti's.

I was just suggesting the easiest route for him to get started creatively. Keep in mind, he said he wants to be a 'producer' and is a beginner. I would feel guilty of telling him to buy all this gear without grasping the basic concepts.
By Coz Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:52 am
shaq73 wrote:I have a question about which mpc should I buy first since I'm a beginner who wants to be a music producer. I'm not sure which mpc to get first.

What MPC are you drawn to? What do your favourite artists use? What's your budget?

Like Richie, I would advise anyone who wants to be a music producer to get familiar with software first. It's the cheapest way to get up and running (assuming you already have a computer), and also opens up better avenues for getting a 'pro' sound.

In saying that, I still think the most fun to be had is probably with a turntable, a bunch of random records, an MPC and maybe a few effects boxes. :smoker:
By Living Bate Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:05 pm
richie wrote:I suggest you use a computer to make beats, learn how that all works and decide if you want to branch out from there.

that worked for me.....I got a cracked copy of Acid and a Fruityloops freebie.......had a sh!t load of fun with it for a couple of years and decided to save up and get a 2KXL.....I've now got a Ren......

The Ren for me is the perfect balance of computer and hardware ....
By Ill-Green Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:51 am
Like everyone says, go the software route and get familiar with workflows and jargons of the art. Its much cheaper that way than spending money on machines you don't know would be fit for your style.

As for MPCs, there isn't really a beginner's unit out there, they all need to be learnt from the ground up. Maybe the MPC Element, but that is severely limited than being a beginner's go-to for their first taste of an MPC. Perhaps the MPC Studio or the MPC Touch would be more "beginner friendly" for you.
By PurpleTree209 Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:40 pm
its really on you. i didnt know anything when i first copped my 2500. but i was down to make beats. lots of good advice already here. drum machines are not very difficult to operate. but it can be frustrating to learn and even more frustrating to make some music especially in the beginning. it all depends on your commitment to create. do you have any experience with instruments or computer software? if so that should be a pretty good indication of whether or not you can get through the learning process and get into the creation process. you dont want to drop x amount of dollars on something you're not going to commit too.