New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Hankster Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:43 pm
Dear MPC users

I have a quick question that is probably more aimed at UK people in the electronic music scene

Basically i'm looking to invest in a tool like the MPC Renaissance (was looking at maschine for a while)

As a production noobie here is what i can gather:

To make old school speed garage WARP BASS i would need a machine with this "cyclical time stretch" feature like the old S Series have

Does this feature on the renaissance ?

Please bear in mind i have no experience with MPC i just want to make oldschool jungle & speed garage basslines but don't know if these latest machines have the same functions as the older units

Thanks for your time & patience
Hank
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:10 pm
The timestretch in the MPC Software is decent, so while you will eventually get metallic artifacts at very extreme levels of stretch, it's nowhere near as aggressive as the old school samplers. If you want that kind of timestretch, just get an old school sampler specifically to handle that effect, or look out for a VST that mimics it, there's probably loads of them about. Use the MPC or Maschine for everything else.
By hok-2 Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:18 pm
I'd say you could probably produce the effect your after on most modern D.A.W's a lot easier then doing it on a hardware sampler.
I don't use anything other than hardware so I couldn't advise you on that - Reason, Logic, Fruityloops etc
there is also a freeware thing that time stretches stuff in the same way as older Akai samplers.

https://www.renoise.com/tools/akaizer

So it's probably a matter of personal taste .
You can get some amazing bass sounds out of the S-series samplers and they're great but it's a lot less immediate than modern stuff.
Like was said, you can pick them up cheep enough if you feel your D.A.W isn't cutting it, S3000's go for about 40 quid.
Depends how oldskool you want to go :)