New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By bjwolf33 Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:50 pm
Hi everyone,
I would be really grateful if someone could help me..

I have an MPC2000 Classic, a turntable and a P.A. system. Up until now, I have enjoyed using the mpc and sampling through the turntable. In order to listen to the turntable for enjoyment or to find samples, I play the records through the mpc and out of the P.A. using the "Sampling" screen. This means that my mpc is often on for long periods of time even if I am just listening to records and hanging out. Here is my question..

I want to be able to easily do the following three things with my mpc2000 and related components: 1. Use the mpc as intended to find samples using my turntable and create music 2. Listen to the turntable without having to turn on the mpc and route it throught the "sampling" screen and 3. Use the two components separately but combine them into a performance (example: scratching on the turntable while I play sequences through the mpc and/or playing pads on the mpc along with a record that is playing.

I have not found any guides to getting this accomplished. Any help would be appreciated. I am prepared to purchase a regular mixer as well as a dj mixer and any other component that is necessary to accomplish this.

Thanks very much for your help!
By OweMoney Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:48 pm
Sounds like you already got the answer. Pick up a DJ mixer with 2 or more channels if you don't already have one. Run the Turntable through one channel and the MPC through another. Run one of the outs of the mixer to the MPC to sample and another out of the mixer to the PA system. Then you can just play the turntable through the PA, you could turn on the MPC and sample from the turntable, or play a sequence from the MPC and scratch over it playing the turntable.
By tapedeck Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 pm
i'd get a dj mixer with some sort of aux send. a vestax pmc pro III for example has this.

plug the mixer into the pa.
plug the turntable into channel 1 phono...now you can listen to your turntable like a normal turntable.
plug your mpc out into channel 2 line in...now you can listen to your mpc and turntable at the same time, cutting between them using the crossfader or upfaders or whatever.
plug the aux send of the mixer into the mpc record in.
now, when you want to sample, turn the volume of channel 1 on the mixer down (this part actually depends on the mixer, whether the send is pre or post fader), turn the aux send of channel 1 up, and turn the volume of channel 2 (the mpc) up on the mixer. also MAKE SURE not to use the aux send at all on channel 2 - this will feed the mpc back on itself and probably whine really loudly.
now you can sample just as you did before.

the alternative is to get something like a mackie that has the mute-bus out, and use a phono preamp to get your turntable into that. you then route the mute bus into the mpc record ins, and when you must the turntable, it sends it to the sampler. you don't need to really worry about feedback this way, cause if you muted the mpc, you would create a wicked feedback loop, but you wouldn't hear it. i still wouldn't advise that...

i actually use the second option, but it sort of still leaves room for a dj mixer, and so with option 1, you kind of get the best of all worlds with most simplicity.
just dont feed the mpc back on itself.

edit: the answer just before me is another option, but you got to watch out still for feedback (you can't use the master out if you are also listening to the master out of the while sampling), and if it only has 1 output, you'd have to settle for doing everything in mono. you could get clever with the pan, but still a dedicated send is going to be cleaner. this feature is not usually found on the cheapest mixers, but i've picked one up that had it for $30, so you can find them. :mrgreen:
By Bugfix Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:08 pm
OweMoney wrote:Sounds like you already got the answer. Pick up a DJ mixer with 2 or more channels if you don't already have one. Run the Turntable through one channel and the MPC through another. Run one of the outs of the mixer to the MPC to sample and another out of the mixer to the PA system. Then you can just play the turntable through the PA, you could turn on the MPC and sample from the turntable, or play a sequence from the MPC and scratch over it playing the turntable.

yeah, any mixer with booth/tape/record out PLUS master out will do you, just watch out on feedback (monitor off on mpc rec screen or within faders)
By OweMoney Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:11 pm
Or if even if there is only a master out you could run the headphone jack out to the MPC.
By bjwolf33 Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:33 pm
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the well spoken tips.
I need to read your answers a couple times, very thoughtfully, to make sure that I am understanding correctly. I don't know if this stuff is as complicated as it seems or if I am overthinking. So far, I understand that if I simply buy the correct type of dj mixer, I can easily do the things I want as long as I am careful not to create a loop of feedback (this is the part I really need to re-read so I understand how to avoid that). To add to the initial question, if I want to be able to also route everything through a traditional mixer and into a daw, how does this change the setup? Your specific answers regarding where to plug what in will be most helpful. Also, any suggestions as to models of mixers (both dj and for recording) would be awesome. Price, as always, is a consideration but I'd like them to be dependable and last. I do not use the 8 outs nor do I have much interest in it. I just want to be able to get my music out of the mpc and into the computer as easily as possible.

Thanks again for the time you've spent replying. I'm super impressed by this site and am thankful that there is still a community like this for people like me. Lord know, I need all the help I can get.
By tapedeck Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:37 pm
that mixer will work, but it doesn't have the sends. so to prevent a feedback loop, you would have to turn the volume of the mpc down while you are sampling and rely on just the visual meters to make sure you are getting a good sound into it. i personally wouldn't want to work this way, but as mentioned, it can be done in a pinch.
i would take that $80 to craigslist and find a much better used mixer - but that is my preference, and yours might be different.

to connect another mixer into the setup, i would probably just run the output of the dj mixer into a channel on the other mixer. as such, it might not be needed. you could also use the dj mixer as just a preamp, run that into the mixer, and run your mpc into the mixer too. sounds like a waste of a dj mixer though. basically, if you are trying to mix two things, you only need two mixer channels...i don't see why you'd want even another mixer, unless you plan on expanding / using the 8-outs (which you said you weren't).
By bjwolf33 Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:00 pm
Ok...I think I'm following you. I guess I thought that I would need a traditional mixer to get music from the 2000 onto a computer. If I go with something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-VMX100U ... +VMX100USB

...would that solve all my issues. It has the dedicated record out as well as a main out and also usb capability. Would this help me avoid worrying about relying on the visual meters (that sounds absolutely terrible, by the way) and also making it super easy to dump my sounds onto a computer?

Mr. Lampdog, sir..I absolutely bow down to your expertise. I've learned a ton from you just by reading forums on this site so thank you for that. Do you have another brand you recommend that would be in a similar or (very) slightly higher price range?

I getcha with the craigslist remark so I'll investigate what is available there.

Getting closer, step by step...thanks!!!
By Bugfix Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 pm
OweMoney wrote:Or if even if there is only a master out you could run the headphone jack out to the MPC.

yah :smoker: I trained all that at akai os with turnatables +serato, and was blasted by ver2 with their d-lay :lol:

I found feedback quite creative as soundsource and for tails of roughly ended samples
By Lampdog Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:08 pm
Do you have another brand you recommend that would be in a similar or (very) slightly higher price range?
This one has the mixer look, feel, along with usb and severel channels to play with. This suggestion is in the direction of what tapedeck spoke about earlier.

Alesis MULTIMIX 8 USB FX
8 Channel Mixer with Effects / USB Audio Interface

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/multimix-8-usb-fx

A lil bit more expensive than the Behringer you spoke about. Has a bit more features than you
asked for and that allows you to grow into when you add more gear later on. I'd always suggest getting something with a few more features than you actually need for this exact reason.

Ok...I think I'm following you. I guess I thought that I would need a traditional mixer....
Nah, there are audio interfaces, mixers, soundcards etc, so many options to get mpc2k music into computer.

Mr. Lampdog, sir..I absolutely bow down to your expertise.
Maaannn, I don't know that much stop playing :lol:

I've learned a ton from you just by reading forums on this site so thank you for that.
If I can help and/or set things in a helping direction I will.

There are many more in the world, this is just one, keep looking at other options that may fit your style and needs better. :-D
By bjwolf33 Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:47 pm
Oh, man. I'm honored, thanks.
The Alexis looks very nice for the price but I must be missing a basic concept. I've been focusing on looking at a "DJ" mixer that would allow me to jam out by playing a sequence /song on the mpc while scratching vinyl on my turntable over it, all through a beat up p.a. Can I do that on the alesis? That is my first priority (performance, I guess) while exporting to a computer would be second.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:54 pm
No fader to scratch with on the Alesis, sorry, I didn't think about that part.
See if there is a usb mixer with all the inputs, sends, aux channels you need while also having a fader.
By bjwolf33 Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:04 pm
I will. Thanks very much. Dude...lampdog gave me advice. I'll update and still welcome anyone's tips or thoughts on mixers.