New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Cossa101 Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:22 pm
I have used the patch phrase function and feel that I mostly understand its power and limitations, however I would like to know how it actually technically works.

Does the patched phrase actually need to have a musical equivalent number of regions such as 4, 8, 16, etc? For example It seems that it should need the placeholder regions with blank space to assign to the timing. Conceptually if I chop a phrase into 16 pieces and then each piece is assigned to a 16 count beat, the hits can follow the time increase or decrease without changing the audio. That makes sense how that could work easily.

But how does it work technically when the phrase is chopped into uneven regions, such as 5 or 13. How does it know where to put these regions on a beat and allow it to expand musically? I realize there is a tempo assigned to the patched phrase, but how are uneven samples assigned this tempo? This also is a question when a region involves a sample that covers more than one beat. And often you may alter regions where the first region is three beats, and the next region is two. How does it know to start the first region on the one count, and the second region on the fourth beat and not the second.
By MPC-Tutor Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:12 am
Everything is proportionally attached to the original tempo, so it doesn't matter where the chops are in relation to a perfect 16th quantise template (for example). If the original snare was 2milliseconds behind the '2' and '4' at 80BPM, it will still be proportionally behind the 2 and 4 at 160BPM, i.e. 1 millisecond (double tempo = half the length).