New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By tapedeck Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:56 pm
also worth pointing out that without the 8-outs, a mixer is only going to be useful as an overkill fx unit.

and re: any combo mixers/interfaces, its handy to know if the individual tracks or just the main bus get output to the computer. it's usually the latter - just the main bus, so you're not really gaining anything again unless you have a lot of signals to actually mix.

things like what lamp is suggesting are cool because they let you do all the mixing in the computer, and keeps all your tracks separate.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:30 pm
Mackie has been mentioned many times on the boards here too, also a damn good choice.
More options X knows about the better to fit the style of production needed, required.
By xvw Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:59 pm
hey everybody. i apologize for the late response on my end.
i've been taking care of my moms, she's just now getting better
after being very sick for over a week.

i've also been taking the time to do some more research on the points
that you guys have stated, and to prepare my answers accordingly.

i didn't want to burn you guys out either, by replying right away.

thanks again for all of your time, it means a lot to me.
By xvw Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:02 pm
tapedeck wrote:no problem thanks for being cool.

anytime brother, it's all love!

tapedeck wrote:one thing a dj mixer will almost always have that a line mixer wont is the phono input made specifically for a turntable. a turntable won't usually plug directly into a regular mixer.

that makes sense! it says in the manual that the zed-10fx has the ports
on the st-1 b channel strip, but they are labeled as "rca phono sockets".

MusicMeister 5:17 AM - 30 November, 2008

Yes, they are the same PHYSICAL connection.

But the type of signal they accept is NOT always the same.

For example, a phono input requires a lower level RIAA reverse EQ'd signal be applied because there is a phono pre-amp (which applies the RIAA EQ and amplifies the signal) on the other side.

Your 'typical' RCA input, is usually a -10dB line level, which is significantly higher than your phono input.

I looked into it, because you stated that most line mixers don't have the specific ports.
i'm not quite sure on how to ask this, but I was wondering, should I be cautious at all
that it's not simply directly as a "phono" input, or is the name simply implying that it is
capable of varying the impedance?

tapedeck wrote:
yes that is what i was referring to.

thank you. i will keep that in mind
as a possible option in the future!

tapedeck wrote:but honestly i usually just 4 off the mpc

by that did you mean that you just track your regular
4 tracks because that's all that you usually need from
the machine at that time? and if you need the extra
room to track, the availability is there?

tapedeck wrote:personally, it changed my world when i got it...i think besides a card reader, that is probably the best upgrade you can do to your mpc.

thank you tape, this definitely helped me feel better about the 8 outs xp. hopefully i can make way to getting one at some point.
By xvw Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 pm
Lampdog wrote:
IDE is not hot swap. ATAPI is hotswap. They use the same ribbon connector on 2kxl motherboard.

thank you lamp, i'll get to mpcstuff at some point and probably order from them or
keep checking in on ebay. did you stay with the older o/s on yours? or are you
working with v 1.20?

Lampdog wrote:
Pic from internet, not my machine, BUT, my 2kxlse2 has these same internals, 32mb, atapi mcd (hotswap), eb16 and 8out board.

I looked at your se2, and man i have to say that the edition that you have looks really, really, nice.

do you ever find yourself from time to time still using the eb16's fx to this day?
By xvw Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:06 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Multiport Soundcard/Audio interface would break out 8 channels separately into a daw. 8 mono tracks into daw (RME UFX can be configured for both ways and anything in between -patchbay functions). That's the difference.

I really don't even know. it's getting a little bit tough to make a decision.

I know that people find their work around with their mixers,
yet, it would be nice to have the tracks sent separately to
modify them even further.
By xvw Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Coz, thanks a lot for checking in over here!

Coz wrote:I used a simple Roland digital mixer for 15 years or so

that roland digi mixer held you up for quite a while!
i've honestly never took the time to look into what
they were about until you mentioned it. thanks brother!

Coz wrote:I couldn't gel with the onscreen mixer workflow of it though.

Coz wrote:Mixing is all about tactile feel for me

I hear you, i've spent so much time on the computer throughout
my previous years, so i thought that having something tactile would
help to change things up some. it's somewhat been a tough decision
on me though, but with everybody's help, i'm feeling a lot better about
my options. it's just a little overwhelming at first, but i'll live. lol

Coz wrote:even though you could launch a nuke with it

:mrgreen:

Coz wrote:so on the DAW side of things I've got a CC121 for Cubase and Softube Console 1 as a hands-on channel strip.

I checked out the demos for both of those on youtube, and they seemed really helpful to me
in the regard of efficiency. i really liked the intuitive rotary that i believe the cc121
had, that was a really nice feature to put in. thanks for opening my eyes to that brother!

Coz wrote:What the GC rep or your Prof at school failed to tell you is that the mixer is another instrument in the studio if used and abused. :smoker:

haha, yeah the GC rep did fail to tell me that. my professor on the other hand has always worked
with one due to the preference of working with live recording situations. but, everybody does have
their own way these days.
By tapedeck Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:10 pm
1) the 'phono sockets' on that zed-10fx mixer are not a phono preamp - that is just what they are calling the physical connectors. you cannot plug a regular turntable directly into that mixer - unless the turntable outputs line level (some do now).

2) yes i usually just use 4 of the 8-outs because that seems to work for me. i do use a lot more tracks in the mpc.

3) i do use the eb16fx but they are not anything special really - more just a novelty to have. although the feedback pitch shift is pretty gnarly i like that one.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 pm
Yes, the eb16 treated me well back in the day. Haven't turned on the 2kxl in years since I got the 4k.
Yes, I never changed from 1.14. Never liked 1.20. Used it once, it froze and caused all types of problems so I went back to 1.14 that same day and fine after that.