New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Epictetus Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:55 pm
i'm new to the world of MPCs

I have the MPC1000 and i'm trying to appreciate it; i'm reading and listening to a lot of J Dilla (Donuts) and trying to understand the true magic of the MPC

What i struggle with is this;

...i'd like to use it inline with Logic Pro X. The most logical thing would be to use the 1k to get started with playing with a sample, then to record that into LPX?

I'd like to then create drum kits by taking individual hits from old records and layer them with other sounds like 808s, would the logical thing would be to then record that into LPX?

Basically i like the DAW but i want to try and connect with the magic of the MPC, i'm just torn by the old skool vs the new skool.

Can anyone contribute to my thought process and help me understand the process while appreciating the tools i have?
By Lampdog Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:32 pm
Epictetus wrote:i'm just torn by the old skool vs the new skool.

Use techniques you are comfortable with from both, combine
and create your unique workflow.
By Epictetus Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 pm
there is a little naggin voice in the back of my head that says to go down the MPD route where things can be managed between these two proverbial worlds.... Why would someone use a MPC alongside the DAW in a world where MPD can take its place? Assuming the person never really wanted to just work in a MPC.... is it that the MPC can just be used as an idea creation platform, is the chopping and layering of beats and samples that much smoother when you get into it? Is it better to work with less visuals and more with your ear?
By JamesJeffery Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:01 pm
If you're inspired by Dilla (don't forget Madlib and Damu the Fudgemunk etc) he didn't use a DAW at all. At least not to my knowledge. He was strictly MPC. And, there is no magic in the MPC. The magic comes from creativity which comes from the user :)

You say "old skool" vs. "new skool". Instead, think in terms of "hardware" vs. "software". The hardware route is still one many use, without software. Especially in Hip Hop. I've used MP's for 10 years, and the only time I really every use a DAW with the MPC is for mixing. But I can understand the need to hook it up to sync midi. Still, I'd prefer to sample those into the MPC. Some see the MPC as another instrument in their dynamic arrangements. Others see it as the central mothership for everything they do. I prefer the later.

It's seems like a very long winded approach to have to record your tracks from the MPC into Logic. You shouldn't really need to do that until your track is complete. I agree that a controller might be more useful when you want to use Logic (the MPD32 is pretty decent tbf). The MPC is perfectly capable of running standalone.
By JVC Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:45 pm
If I remember correctly, J Dilla used DAW on his laptop computer (in his hospital room) to make beats on Donuts album.
By richie Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:29 am
I'm pretty sure there are pictures and talk about him having an MPC3000 and crates in his hospital room.
By Epictetus Sun May 29, 2016 10:46 am
JamesJeffery wrote:If you're inspired by Dilla (don't forget Madlib and Damu the Fudgemunk etc) he didn't use a DAW at all. At least not to my knowledge. He was strictly MPC. And, there is no magic in the MPC. The magic comes from creativity which comes from the user :)

You say "old skool" vs. "new skool". Instead, think in terms of "hardware" vs. "software". The hardware route is still one many use, without software. Especially in Hip Hop. I've used MP's for 10 years, and the only time I really every use a DAW with the MPC is for mixing. But I can understand the need to hook it up to sync midi. Still, I'd prefer to sample those into the MPC. Some see the MPC as another instrument in their dynamic arrangements. Others see it as the central mothership for everything they do. I prefer the later.

It's seems like a very long winded approach to have to record your tracks from the MPC into Logic. You shouldn't really need to do that until your track is complete. I agree that a controller might be more useful when you want to use Logic (the MPD32 is pretty decent tbf). The MPC is perfectly capable of running standalone.

the issue here is that the DAW can allow you to bring in all sorts of different features to what was created on the MPC, for me personally i can't help but see the MPC as a sketchboard to produce a first draft. Perhaps i'm just too inexperienced to do everything in the MPC but it makes sense (for me) to create something in the MPC and then move those tracks into Logic Pro X.

I just need to figure out how to do this!
By TheUnfuckwithable Sun May 29, 2016 10:52 am
Lampdog wrote:
Epictetus wrote:i'm just torn by the old skool vs the new skool.

Use techniques you are comfortable with from both, combine
and create your unique workflow.

:worthy:

Lamp always dropping the knowledge!