New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By spaddict Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:49 am
What's up everyone! This is my first post and I hope someone could impart their MPC expertise and let me know whether I should be plugging my 2000xl into my interface with the "line" or "instrument" setting?

I have a focusrite 2i2 and Im going from the left and right outs on the MP using dual TRS into a single TRS into the input of the interface.

I've looked at the focusrite manual but im still a little unsure what the difference is. Can someone please explain the difference between the two? Also, does selecting "line" or "instrument" setting interfere with the built in preamps?

I also have a tascam portastudio cassette 4 track. If I track out from my MPC to cassette and then into my DAW, would it be any different, setting "line" or "instrument" to record into the DAW?

on one last note, Lately I've been tracking out from the MPC HOT!, turned to the max. I think I heard that tip from Darkchild in some video. Anyone know if that's ideal? Supposedly it makes the drums "knock" harder... idk. What do you guys think?
By spaddict Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:47 am
When I experiment with the line vs instrument setting, switching it to instrument seemed to introduce some pleasing "warmer tones" while definitely boosting the gain. Line would drop the gain considerably and didnt seem to have the same tonal characteristics. Im curious why this is.. or maybe its just me

And I could have swore that tracking out hot is what he was talking about. I would imagine that sampling hot just makes it sound distorted...
By Lampdog Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:21 pm
Everything you asked you can try out for free, no extra gear to needed and you can google search line vs instrument or something similar.

Experiment, do what sounds good to you, make a decision, run with that.

Manuals don't answer everything.
By Wal Martian Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:25 pm
If you track out hot and clip the AD converter it is not going to sound good ever again. If you sample in hot it will give the tonal characteristics of the MPC circuitry and converters, some people like this sound for things like drums.

MPC is line level. Tascam cassette is line level. Instrument level is for things like electric guitar and old keyboards that need an amp. It's a HiZ, or high impedance input. Stick with Line in.