New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Kevin Chrysler Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 pm
Hey y'all. I'm able to get a 5000 for super cheap but I've been looking at the studio for a long time. Next week is when I'm buying, should I spend a bit extra and get the 5000? Or should I stick with the studio as a beginner!?

Let me know!
By mr_debauch Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:55 pm
i don't know... and for all that "as a beginner" crap. Listen, the 5000 operates on it's own (no computer needed).. the studio is just a USB peripheral for the newer mpc software. The studio will be way more capable because it's newer, it's a software on the computer.. but if you don't have a computer that is within the minimum specs you are SOL. The 5000 does have a lot of features... but it is not known to be the greatest model out of the mpc series....
By distortedtekno Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:41 pm
Kevin Chrysler wrote:I guess what I'm asking is will the 5000 be too complex to learn on?

Not at all. An MPc is an MPC. The 5000 just has more extra features than the other hardware MPCs. The sequencer and basic features are all the same. So you'll learn the basics in no time at all. The rest of the 5000s features are icing on the cake, and you'll learn all the extra features in time. So if you're getting a good deal on the 5000 and would prefer ro work without the need for a computer, then it's worth it. Even if you find that the 5000 isn't for you, you can always sell it and make your money back for something else. So go for it. :nod:
By Kevin Chrysler Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:43 pm
mr_debauch wrote:i don't know... and for all that "as a beginner" ****. Listen, the 5000 operates on it's own (no computer needed).. the studio is just a USB peripheral for the newer mpc software. The studio will be way more capable because it's newer, it's a software on the computer.. but if you don't have a computer that is within the minimum specs you are SOL. The 5000 does have a lot of features... but it is not known to be the greatest model out of the mpc series....

Just curious about the studio being more capable? What do you mean? More features? Or more of a range on what you can do with it?
Also I'm curious if the mpc software will work with the 5000 or should I use dedicated software like fruity loops or Logic Pro or none at all?
By mr_debauch Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:09 am
to clarify..

the 5000 is a drum machine sampler workstation... all in one. You plug in the power cable.. hook it right up to speakers (from the back) or to headphones... it works by itself.

the studio IS like fl studio or logic pro.. it is a computer program.. with no computer, the studio is just a paper weight... the mpc software works with either the studio, the renaissance, or the mpc touch... if you have one of those 3.. you are using the same mpc software. The mpc software is only for those 3 things at this point and can not be used with out one of those 3 connected to the computer.

The 5000 is older than those 3. It is essentially a machine built with similar components to what a computer has inside... it runs it's own OS, it does not connect as a controller to any mpc software to use the mpc software the way the studio does... it isn't integrated.. it isn't a computer daw controller.... it is an alternative to using a computer and a daw. (It is what we call hardware.. rather than software)

the reason the studio is more feature full and powerful in some respects is because your computer has more capabilities than a 7 or 8 year old mpc. They kept adding features.. plus because your computer these days probably has 4, 8, 16, or maybe even more gigs of ram... that is way higher than the 192 MEGs (megabytes, not gigabytes) that the 5000 can house... which means you can have more samples and things going on at once.

BUT! if you want to work away from a computer... the studio doesn't offer that.. you will be behind a computer. If you computer is shitty.. or 15 years old.. forget about running the mpc software needed for the studio. If you want to build a studio around a bunch of hardware you can sequence with the 5000.. maybe that is the way to go.. or just a simple straight to the point way of making music without having a computer used for multitudes of other non music related tasks that could be bogging down your machine.
By JayJosh Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:25 pm
I would save your money and buy a studio black. You'll be able to move around a lot. That 5000 is definitely a stationary tank.

Also ... the import/export ability is a lot quicker/smoother. This would help if you were collabing with someone else.

Not to mention having access to MPC 2.0 when it's released.