New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By stevebeige Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:04 pm
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can advise on a few questions I've not found answers to.

I've recently bought a used Akai MPC 1000 running JJOS 3.12, 128MB ram installed and a 6GB internal HDD (which is noisy as hell!) based on a need to playback sequenced audio for live with multiple independent outputs to enhance a 4 piece band (drums/bass/guitar/vocals)

More specifically.....

E.g.

Track 1 - Click track for drummer
Track 2 - pre recorded backing vocals
Track 3 - noise gate sidechain audio patterns
Track 4 - guitar samples

I need all the above tracks to have independent outputs for routing and monitoring purposes.

I also want to be able to trigger these sequenced songs via midi from my Boss ES8 foot controller and also send sequenced midi messages (PC and CC's) back to my Boss ES-8 foot controller for changing it's presets during a song (fx pedal loops/rack preset fx changes etc).

Q.1

Do I have the most suitable device for achieving this?

Q.2

I am used to sequencing the songs in Logic Pro X. Is there a simple way to export the sequenced song (including all audio and associated midi messages) from Logic Pro X into the MPC? If not, then what's the best way to import it?

Incidentally, I searched through about 30 pages of posts after running a forum search on 'exporting from Logic Pro into MPC' etc but only came across posts exporting the other way round or purely exporting midi files and not midi and audio together. If I've missed something in my understanding then I apologise in advance.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Steve
By bliprock Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:29 am
I have no idea what Track 3 - noise gate sidechain audio patterns means, but I think that wont matter.
can not answer number 1 question with out reading its manual. but it looks like midi IO on the back of it, so not sure.

In free JJOS you have you have not any footswitch option to step up and down through sequences, like paid versions like XL, in XL for instance any footswitch will step up and down sequences so you can change sequences. THIS IS NOT MIDI though. so don't think it can be done but check manual and see if midi can do that.

Refer to your manual to see CCS and PCs, and yeah you have a MPC it sends midi, so I am not sure what your asking? of course it sends these to your effects pedal, if pedal has that function. time to RTFM here to see.

ok question 2 and logic pro. You just have to export the midi and also then your samples separately and then just load midi and samples into the MPC, and assign the samples to the same midi note. Done. there is no way you can just do it as it midi and samples so that means you have to load samples and midi separately as they are two different things.

all the routing is in the manual so read that to assign samples to your different outputs
By stevebeige Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:19 pm
Thanks for replying. It has certainly cleared up a few areas.

re Q1,

routing to different outputs is now sorted.

Using midi PC's from the Boss ES8 to change the sequences on the MPC is also good. I just need to figure out how to send a midi PC message from the MPC to my foot controller (It does have MIDI IN) from a particular point in the sequence.

re Q2. Not sure what you mean by 'assign the samples to the same midi note' in this context? I'm aware midi files and audio samples are different beasts but had hoped there might be some common project info or the likes that transferred from Logic Pro to the MPC that placed the audio samples at the same places in a sequence. Wishful thinking on my part it seems :Sigh:
By bliprock Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:02 am
In logic, when you make a track into a sample track it makes the samples and assigns them to notes over a keyboard. If you have a midi keyboard you will see only certain notes trigger your samples. Each midi note has a number over 88 keys or what ever it is. So when you load the samples you will have them as they are in logic, and now when you also load up the midi file as well. You have to load the samples and the midi separately. When you see the midi imported into your MPC there will not be an assigned program, so load the samples in order into the program. In your MPC settings you can assign the midi note numbers to pads. now you just have to match that. So if logic starts midi sequence of chopped samples at C2 then you just make pads start at same midi number. make sense now?

PCs... two ways to send them from MPC, 1 is on main screen PC setting, (not sure if it in Free JJOS) or you can input the PC in the step sequencer window.