New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By dirtrobot Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:18 pm
Hey all,
I am just exploring sequencer and sampler options and I figured someone here would be able to help me decide as to whether an MPC (and which model) would be good for me.

Essentially I"m trying to shake up my production workflow to be more live and spontaneous. How I'd like to work is:
1) Finger drum my rhythm phrases, either triggering an esx-1 or internal samples.
2) Record midi phrases and automation into the unit from a synth or other controller.
3) Sequence all of the above in realtime - recording mutes and other automation OR perform 1 and 2 live from the unit.
4) Playback 3) to be recorded into a PC.

Is this feasible with an MPC? I know a few techno wizards use the 1000 as a control hub and so I wanted to investigate this further.

Thanks!
By Ian Canefire Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:57 pm
Hi,
Yes you will do well with an MPC. Here is a video on the MPC4000. I rarely use the pads on the MPC. I usually input data through a midi keyboard or through my Boss DR880's bass guitar layout.

A midi keyboard with CC controls on its knobs can be assigned to the MPC parameters making the MPC phenomenal. The Roland SH201 works perfectly as do a few other devices like the behringer BCR...

Peace
Ian